Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
jonjones1
Legend

@rich_lux wrote:

@jonjones wrote:

Hey a poster at DSL Reports said they gave their guest network a different password impregnable I believe they said and the problem was solved.

although it seems far fetched it may be worth a try.

I've never had my guest wireless enabled, so that can't be the issue.

Rich

Like I said far fetched. But what if you change the name of your guest network, and make a crazy password for it like Acg321#.12345 and then see if it works.

or for that matter change the name of the 5 Ghz band and make a crazy password and see if that may help. 

0 Likes
Simbapenn
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had different passwords and network names and it doesn't help.

Still up after nearly 2 days with rolling back to WPA/WPA2 on the 5GHz band. 

maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

I switched from WPA2 to WPA2/WPA mixed mode last night and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections seem to work fine so far. I use the same SSID and password for both frequencies, and see some devices connected using 2.4GHz and some 5GHz.

Simbapenn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for giving it a shot.  I'm still up 3 days later.  The reason I tried this was an anonymous user on the dslreports board said that the bug was due to KRAKK attack updates, which deal with WPA2 vulnerabilities. So, if they were right, perhaps this will actually hold. 

betsy5141
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm a me too - I've called (yesterday) and did a live chat (the day before).  Was told both times it was a firmware issue but they had no idea of when it would be fixed - likely a couple of days.  

NoHighSpeed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Three days of uptime is better than anything I've seen in recent weeks, so if I understand you properly backing off to WPA/WPA2 may be a short term work-around until WPA2 is fixed.  I've been logging into the Quantum router daily and toggling the channel setting, but I like this better.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Simbapenn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes. Though I did have 5 days with turning WMM off, so it's not unprecedented. However this move was at least partially an evidence based move. Someone on the dslreports board anonymously reported this problem was a due to Verizon's implementation of a KRAKK WPA2 exploit fix.  If this report was accurate, then moving off WPA2 (though I think I read KRAKK is WPA also) makes sense to try. Turning off security entirely would also be worth trying, though obviously that's not a long term solution.

I'm still up well into day 3.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Last I read, Quantum router was not vulnerable to Krack exploit, so there was no reason to update.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Simbapenn wrote:

Yes. Though I did have 5 days with turning WMM off, so it's not unprecedented. However this move was at least partially an evidence based move. Someone on the dslreports board anonymously reported this problem was a due to Verizon's implementation of a KRAKK WPA2 exploit fix.  If this report was accurate, then moving off WPA2 (though I think I read KRAKK is WPA also) makes sense to try. Turning off security entirely would also be worth trying, though obviously that's not a long term solution.

I'm still up well into day 3.

WMM is another name for QOS, so that only gets you speed. Not security.

i noticed your posts at DSL Reports and your roll back to just WPA. Which is less than WPA2/PSK but higher than WEP which is not something you or others should use.

as is turning off security all together. Bad move.

The higher end solution is a secondary router as an access point. This way you can use the higher security, and have far better WiFi and not have to deal with that Quantum router except for internet connectivity. Your own router handles everything. That is the way to go or simply return the Quantum and use your own router. You save money and aggravation in the long run. But I know you won’t want to do that, but it is just a suggestion.

0 Likes
NoHighSpeed
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've no doubt that Verizon will get this 5 GHz issue fixed. It is a question of how long it will take.  I've had this service for two years and it has worked fine, actually great, with WPA2 in the 5 GHz band.  Whatever they did about three weeks ago (firmware push?) broke it, however.  It has not been an option to back out that change, but it has taken them far too long to get a real fix in placel. They are relying on their supplier for this, though I suspect that they didn't get them involved until weeks into the issue. otherwise it would have been fixed by now. Verizon's real issue seems to be that they did not recognize that they had a firmware issue and began shipping out replacement routers as a potential fix..  My wired connections and 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi have continued to work fine.  I would like to get the higher speed 802.11ac in the 5 GHz band  back up to its fomer self though.

0 Likes