Router needs Rebooted every other day
JenMarie1313

Hi,

I'm new to Fios and fixing computer stuff in general, so sorry if this is an easy fix. I have the basic internet only fios package and until Christmas the devices I had on the wifi were: my phone and sometimes my partner's, my laptop, a network printer, and an Xbox one (the 360 is rarely ever turned on). For Christmas, my partner got me a smart tv and brought me his switch. That brings the total devices to 8. Ever since then, the router needs Rebooted every other day. My laptop, printer, Xbox, and partner's phone always seem fine. My phone, and more recently the tv, always have issues connecting. They're on the 5G connection. Should I maybe bump some down to the not 5G? Or is it too many devices?

Thank you in advance

0 Likes
Re: Router needs Rebooted every other day
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you look, there are some threads (maybe in tech support forum) about people having issues with 5G wifi.

There are some things to try and make it better.

There is talk about Verizon releasing an update to routers after the first of the year to address this issue.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
TommRXE
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was hopeful that this was the fix, as it was past one day and still working on 5 GHz. Unfortunately it stopped connecting on 5 GHz again just now after maybe a day and a half. Disappointed this work around didn't fix it. Looks like we will all still have to wait for Verizon to come up with ths permanent fix. By the way, i did check the router to make sure ths CTS was still set on AUTO, and it was. So it's back to 2.4 GHz for me until Verizon provides the REAL permanent fix for us all.

0 Likes
fnostro

For what it's worth...
I had to enable my SSID Broadcast on the 5GHz channel to keep connected. 

Still using WPA2, changing to mixed mode didn't help me.

0 Likes
Jeff-11

Add me to the list of folks experiencing this issue. I was away from home from the end of Nov until Dec 19. Started seeing the issue as soon as I was home. So the timeframe, some change in late Nov / early Dec seems to fit. As with others, the 5GHz radio continues to braodcast the SSID, but network status reveals that it has been disconnected. Consequently devices connect but cannot get an IP.

Given the timing and the large number of folks this is happening to, I cannot believe that something wasn't chnaged by Verizon. Even if there was not a firware update, configuration changes are possible, including (I suspect) some configurations that was cannot access through the admin interface.

Come on Verizon! Get this fixed. 

0 Likes
Jeff-11

For those living with periodic resets until Verizon fixes this...here's a little quicker method of recovery than a full router reboot. It's still a **bleep**, but it limits the impact.

Go to Network Connections, click Advanced (if on Basic view), click on the 5GHz WAP, click Disable, wait, then click Enable. This method has the advantage of not taking the whole network down while the router reboots.

0 Likes
Jeff-11

Sorry if I missed this bit of information elsewhere in this thread. I read the first few pages, and last few pages, but there was a chunk in the middle I missed.

I just chatted with VZ support. They are aware of this issue and indicate that it affects all the VZ routers. VZ has escalated the issue to Greenwave for resolution. I assume Greenwave is the firmware provider for the Quantum Gateway. Once VZ gets the firware update it will be pushed automatically. No expected timeframe provided.

In the interim, the only workaround is to move everything off of the 5GHz WAP. Sad, but definitly aligns with what we've all experienced.

I also recommended that they post what they know here. Communications!

0 Likes
E_Slaptyback
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having the same issue, I thought it was due to my Nvidia Sheild TV sitting RIGHT next to the router and causing some sort of interference.  Now with that said I powered off the Nvidia and was able to get it to stay up for a week or so and I thought THAT was the issue but it JUST raised its ugly head again after thinking it was solved.......

I did a complete factory reset on the device and set it back up from scratch prior to powering off the Nvidia Sheild TV device.

This cannot be coinkydink that so many users are having this issue.......

0 Likes
E_Slaptyback
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am seeing the "phantom" network being broadcast on the same 5 GHz channel (using WiFi Analyzer on a Samsung Tablet).  The guest network is disabled.  When I change the channel on my 5 GHz, the phantom network moves into that same channel. I have a feeling that Verizon is (or was) trying to do the same thing that Comcast/XFinity was doing with having their users routers act as hot spots for all XFinity customers.  When I was with Comcast I had to call them and request that the XFinity network stopped being broadcast from my equipment......  

FYI,  I have my SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz different names.

0 Likes
Optiik

I had the same issue. For me I changed 5ghz password and I been connected ever since. Going on few weeks now. 

0 Likes