Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

@VAStateOfMind wrote:

Indeed. I've tried disabling 5.0 as well, but that makes 2.4 painfully overloaded, and I find my three Google Home and Home Mini units are constantly disconnecting on 2.4 alone. It is obscene that Verizon FiOS offers this kind of service when they've charged most of us either $100 or $150 for this junky router. I feel worse for those who continually rent the dang thing on a monthly basis.

I did not want to upgrade to Quantum router, because the speed I was getting was good enough for me, but they could not renew the contract with the speed I had, so, my router was upgraded for free... I feel bad for those who purchased this router or pays rent.

As to the 5GHz issue, it seems to work fine since I switched from WPA2 to WPA2/WPA mixed mode about a month ago, but some say this change does not help them...

0 Likes
Scoutzer01
Enthusiast - Level 2

I keep messaging verizon support on twitter (@VerizonSupport) to find out when the patch will be released but they keep saying "no update yet". They seem to answer the question about the patch but never answer the question about whether or not we'll see a discount on our bills since they're only providing half service. 

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

@Scoutzer0 wrote:

I keep messaging verizon support on twitter (@VerizonSupport) to find out when the patch will be released but they keep saying "no update yet". They seem to answer the question about the patch but never answer the question about whether or not we'll see a discount on our bills since they're only providing half service. 

One of the Verizon reps I spoke with about this provided me with a Verizon document number that documents this issue, but it is an internal document number, and I cannot find any information about it on the web.

Jeffro
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been having the same issues for about a month now.  The only workarounds that work consistently are for me to a) reboot the router and/or b) log into the router change a wireless setting, such as WPA2 to mixed mode and apply the settings.  Then my devices connect instantly but only stay connected for a few hours.  Then devices drop and I have to log back in to the router and change something or reboot.  I have tried using WPA mixed mode, I have tried changing SSIDs so they are different between 2.4G and 5G, I have tried turning off 5G entirely, but I still get devices dropped from wifi that then will not reconnect until the router is rebooted or changed in some way.  (Note - I also have the FIOS extender connected via COAX, and I use a different SSID for the extender 2.4 and 5G networks).  This is extremely frustruating, I have GIG service but wifi devices constantly drop out.  It is becomming difficult to work at home and of course my family members are also constantly complaining about our Verizon FIOS service.  Today I finally contacted customer support to report, "Me Too".  Not sure how much longer I can tolerate the constant router reboots (or need to log in).  Presently I don't want to spend more of my own $$ to buy a different router since Verizon is charging me for the Quantum router.  Verizon should do the right thing here and not only fix the issue but also credit their customers who faithfully pay every month for the use of this router, IMHO.  Thanks to all of you for taking the time to log this issue here and encourage everyone to report it to Verizon.

0 Likes
ArmchairAllstar

For me it's not just the 5G that is the issue.   I have also noticed that the router gets in a sluggish state where it introduces latency or lag spikes in until it is power cycled.  I think it starts with the wireless crash then just gets worse over time.  I wouldn't have noticed the second part if I didn't play online games but it is pretty apparent now that I have been monitoring it.

0 Likes
eelhc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a used Frontier G1100 Gateway/Router and installed in place of the Verizon version.  Physically, the routers look identical save for the Frontier logo on the side.  The user interface is also similar except there are Frontier logos and sign-ons for additional services.

Details for the Frontier router:

UI Version: v1.0.208
Firmware Version 01.03.01.12
Model Name: FiOS-G1100
Hardware Version: 1.03 

I copied my configuration file from the Verizon router and everything is up and running.  No issues with 5GHz (so far).

Could it be that the Frontier router has an older, working version of firmware and does not get new firmware pushed to it on the Verizon network?  It certainly does look like Verizon broke something.

ymDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't understand why someone would buy another G1100, even if it was made by another manufacturer like Frontier vs Greenwave.

The G1100 is absolutely crap for wireless signal even when the 5ghz is working.

Just turn off the wireless antenna and get a much better router like the Netgear Nighthawk or the Ubiquiti mesh access points. 

Why spent money on a product that is mediocre at best.

Netgear genie software walks you through the entire switch over process. It's cake.

0 Likes
RichLux
Contributor - Level 1

@yosM45 wrote:

I don't understand why someone would buy another G1100, even if it was made by another manufacturer like Frontier vs Greenwave.

The G1100 is absolutely crap for wireless signal even when the 5ghz is working.

Just turn off the wireless antenna and get a much better router like the Netgear Nighthawk or the Ubiquiti mesh access points. 

Why spent money on a product that is mediocre at best.

Netgear genie software walks you through the entire switch over process. It's cake.

The only reason I use the G1100 is because it is required for remote DVR access, which I use all the time.  If you don't use the G1100 for wireless then you won't be able to watch stuff from your DVR on your devices when you are on your home network.  If it weren't for that, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Rich

0 Likes
eelhc
Enthusiast - Level 2

For me, the Verizon G1100 worked great until December when it started dropping 5GHz connections.

Not sure what more I could expect from a router.  Good coverage throughout my house, excellent speed/throughput even when loaded (Gaming PC and Console,  multiple settop boxes streaming via an over the top service and an in house media server).  I used to run a high end DD-WRT Asus router but took it out... really no need.

That is all until this past December....  Ugh!

0 Likes
Quantify1

At this point I just shut off the 5ghz radio on my g1100, and I repositioned my extender (the actiontec 6200) in a more central location. This works a lot better than I thought it would...the 6200 seems to have good range and throughput. 

For fun I also bought heavy duty digital timers that plug into a wall socket, and I have the router and extender reboot at 5am every Sunday morning. 

0 Likes