Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
DM725
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too have been having major issues since the beginning of December, possibly even earlier.  I've been told it is a firmware issue, and have had a tech out to my residence.  

The temporary solution for my household has been to use 2 MOCA range extenders and disable the 5ghz on the Quantum router.  

Obviously it is still unacceptable but luckily the majority of my devices other than phones laptops and tablets are all using Ethernet.

Why can't hey roll back the firmware or push a new firmware that is the same as the previous one?

0 Likes
Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can you try disabling the 2.4ghz on the primary router and test?

0 Likes
Bjr21

My quantum router 5Ghz band is not working properly either.  It's been intermittently dropping out for about 5 or 6 weeks now. The band signal strength is bad and finally about 2 weeks ago the problem screwed up my Google home connections and my Netflix streaming using 5Ghz. I had to switch to the 2.4Ghz band, but of course the speed is lower. I haven't been able to reliably connect or stay connected to 5Ghz so for now i just gave up.

0 Likes
hermetic_charm

@yosM45 wrote:

I don't understand why someone would buy another G1100, even if it was made by another manufacturer like Frontier vs Greenwave.

The G1100 is absolutely crap for wireless signal even when the 5ghz is working.

Just turn off the wireless antenna and get a much better router like the Netgear Nighthawk or the Ubiquiti mesh access points. 

Why spent money on a product that is mediocre at best.

Netgear genie software walks you through the entire switch over process. It's cake.

Is it possible to just completely remove the G1100 from the equation?  I would prefer to just send it back to Verizon and have my own router, the idea of running both in parallel just bothers me on some level, plus I am renting the G1100 and would prefer to not keep paying for a garbage router that I am not even using.

0 Likes
TRY THIS! IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING! Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
arifiano

Hi ...Well 24 hours and running and 5GHZ is up and working....This is MUCH MUCH better then the last few weeks....#3 below is the new step I added. Shutting down WMM powersave for 5GHZ seems to be be helping. Give it a shot!

What I did was:

1. Both 2.4 & 5 are set to defined channels (1 & 147 in my case)

2. Security is WPA2

3. Go to Wireless Settings > Advanced Security Settings > Advanced Wireless Options > Proceed? (yes) > 2.4 (or 5) GHz WMM Settings: DISABLE WMM POWER SAVE ONLY BY CHECKING THE CHECK BOX. 

0 Likes
Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

@hermetic_charm wrote:

@yosM45 wrote:

I don't understand why someone would buy another G1100, even if it was made by another manufacturer like Frontier vs Greenwave.

Just turn off the wireless antenna and get a much better router like the Netgear Nighthawk or the Ubiquiti mesh access points. 

Netgear genie software walks you through the entire switch over process. It's cake.

Is it possible to just completely remove the G1100 from the equation?  I would prefer to just send it back to Verizon and have my own router, the idea of running both in parallel just bothers me on some level, plus I am renting the G1100 and would prefer to not keep paying for a garbage router that I am not even using.

If you don't have TV service you can... But if you have TV then the STB wouldn't work properly without it. You could  piggy back your own router behind the Verizon router

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Steb0ne wrote:

@hermetic_charm wrote:

@yosM45 wrote:

If you don't have TV service you can... But if you have TV then the STB wouldn't work properly without it. You could  piggy back your own router behind the Verizon router

Incorrect. The Verizon router is not needed for the set top boxes to work.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

The above link explains how to connect in various ways. And more.

0 Likes
Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jonjones wrote:

@Steb0ne wrote:

@hermetic_charm wrote:

@yosM45 wrote:

Incorrect. The Verizon router is not needed for the set top boxes to work.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

The above link explains how to connect in various ways. And more.

That's not correct... The STB uses MOCA from the router to provide data connectivity to the STB for the program guide and VOD to work. If all you care about is live video signal it'll work but your STB wouldn't have data without MOCA

0 Likes
davecbear
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a real problem with Verizon on this issue.  They've known about this issue for over a month.  It essentially cripples their high end service.  They let each individual customer discover the problem and the fact that there is currently no solution on their own (investing hours of time trying to fix it).  In my case I talked with multiple Tech reps, had them send me and installed two new routers, only to find out this is a known issue that Verizon seems unable to resolve.  Yet they continue to advertise/promote a high speed "reliable" product that they can't deliver / fix.  And there is still to this date no communications or update available to impacted customers.  Though my guess is most customers have not figured out there is an issue.

Customer Communications -- Significant 5G Gateway Router Issue
davecbear
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm disappointed in Verizon Support and their communications on a serious issue with the Fios Gateway Router impacting customers of their high end / high speed Fios service.

I've read on multiple forums that many customers are unable to use the "5G" radio on the ir Fios Gateway Router.  In my case after investing hours trying to troubleshoot the problem with Verizon Techs and after receiving two new gateway routers to install I finally discovered that this is a know issue with the firmware on the Fios Gateway Router.  There is no ongoing communications on the status of this problem.  And no outlook on it's resolution.

My crippled Gateway Router would only work on the 2.4G radio and the number of devices in my house could not be handled reliabily with the 5G service down.

I wound up going out and spending $200 for a Netgear Router which is serving as an access point on the Verizon Router with 5G turned off.  The service has now been stable and performing well.

But really Verizon -- is this what your customers should do ?  Is this the Customer Service we should expect from a first tier ISP ?

0 Likes