Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Tomtunnel wrote:

I was having the same problem as everyone else with the 5g. I called Verizon support twice with two different answers to the problem. The second fix corrected the problem. You need to change your ssid name for the 5g. The 2.4 and 5g cannot be the same name. Just add -5g to the ssid name of the 5g. I hope this helps everyone with the fix. 

Considering the default SSID already has -5G that's not gonna help but so much, lol! 

0 Likes
capnfatpants
Enthusiast - Level 2

There seems to be something similar happening that is bigger than just Verizon routers. Apparently they're is a big with Google home and Chromecast that is causing a lot of routers to have similar behaviors. There is a subreddit discussing it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/7qe2ta/confirmed_issue_with_google_chromecast_and_googl...

I'm curious how many of you have a Google device on your network?

DM725
Enthusiast - Level 1

Except for the fact that this is supposedly a firmware issue, not a hardware issue.

0 Likes
Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

@capnfatpants wrote:

There seems to be something similar happening that is bigger than just Verizon routers. Apparently they're is a big with Google home and Chromecast that is causing a lot of routers to have similar behaviors. There is a subreddit discussing it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/7qe2ta/confirmed_issue_with_google_chromecast_and_googl...

I'm curious how many of you have a Google device on your network?

Yea I thought about that too! I do have a Google Home and Home Mini.... But I haven't been too pressed honestly cuz since I disabled the 2.4ghz network I've only had an issue with the 5ghz like twice in the last month

0 Likes
DM725
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah no, that's not a fix.  My home network, as I'm sure many others, was never using the same SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz.  That's kinda ridiculous.

0 Likes
capnfatpants
Enthusiast - Level 2

Reading the thread of the link, a lot of router manufacturers are having to update their firmware. So, it falls in line... I'm not saying Verizon/green wave doesn't need to address it, I would just like to understand the problem better.

0 Likes
ymDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

A few thoughts on things I've read on here...

1) Using a different router for the wireless capabilities does not affect the VOD or the TV service. You're just using the new router for WiFi. The Gateway is still connected inline.

The only thing that is affected is your ability to watch recorded items from your DVR on you wireless device.

Now if you are trying to remove the Gateway from the equation completely, that's more complicated.

2) There was some discussion early on where Tier 2 tech support suggested that Google devices were causing the issue.

My two Chromecasts were connect for a year with no issues. But for troubleshooting sake, I disconnected the Chromecasts, unplugged them and left them off and reset the router. The next day, the 5ghz was lost again. It's not the Google devices.

3) If your 2.4 and 5 SSIDs are the same, yes, you have disconnects. Every one your devices are flipping between 2.4 and 5, there be a disconnect. Or your device will choose the network with the strongest signal, which is usually 2.4. So yes, your 2.4 and 5 should have different names, and you should connect to the network you'd like to be on. That's why the Gateways have different names for both networks out of the box.

Remhead

Sooooooooooooo..... After being told by one technician that 5g only works within 10ft of the router......... (yea) I called back and got someone who spoke English. That technician changed the 5g channel to 44. He mentioned the channels between 140 and 155 have been problematic. SO FAR, it seems to be working. Give that a try all. 

0 Likes
Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Remhead wrote:

Sooooooooooooo..... After being told by one technician that 5g only works within 10ft of the router......... (yea) I called back and got someone who spoke English. That technician changed the 5g channel to 44. He mentioned the channels between 140 and 155 have been problematic. SO FAR, it seems to be working. Give that a try all. 

10ft?!? Hahaha! I believe the tech that mentioned the channels might have been referring to the 5ghz DFS channels which have been problematic for some devices... But from my testing it doesn't appear to be channel specific. When they change the channel it essentially restarts the wireless radio which can be accomplished by turning the WiFi off/on via the MyFios app. That will bring back the connection too... But doubt it'll last, lol! That's what I was doing for over a week. 

0 Likes
BicepsBob1

**LIKELY EXPLANATION DISCOVERED**

I have been having these came issues with my G1100, and I was wondering how many people with these connectivity issues have a Google Chromecast or Google Home, or Home mini on their wi-fi network? ...and also who cast YouTube videos from their phone or mini's to chromecast...

»www.myce.com/news/confir ··· -83428/#

Google Cast devices, like the Chromecast and Google Home cause temporarily Wifi dropouts for users around the world. The issue has been confirmed for routers from Asus, Linksys, Netgear, TP-Link or Synology. In some cases the router is totally inaccessible for a while, other users report the router only temporary disconnects from the internet. TP-Link and Linksys have confirmed the issue.

I have 2 Chromecasts and 2 Home mini's on my network and I have multiple issues mentioned in this thread... poor performance, network totally inaccessible randomly, 5G dropping out and/or becoming inaccessible, Connection reset errors on laptop, etc

The article linked above suggests to "disconnect the Google devices from your network as a temporary workaround"

Hopefully there will be a more permanent router firmware fix for this or fix from google soon!

0 Likes