Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

@yosM45 wrote:

3) If your 2.4 and 5 SSIDs are the same, yes, you have disconnects. Every one your devices are flipping between 2.4 and 5, there be a disconnect. Or your device will choose the network with the strongest signal, which is usually 2.4. So yes, your 2.4 and 5 should have different names, and you should connect to the network you'd like to be on. That's why the Gateways have different names for both networks out of the box.

I actually use the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 GHz, that allows my devices to choose their preferred network. All worked well until this recent 5GHz issue, and the workaround for me was to switch from WPA2 to WPA2/WPA mixed mode.

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

@BicepsBob wrote:

**LIKELY EXPLANATION DISCOVERED**

I have been having these came issues with my G1100, and I was wondering how many people with these connectivity issues have a Google Chromecast or Google Home, or Home mini on their wi-fi network? ...and also who cast YouTube videos from their phone or mini's to chromecast...

»www.myce.com/news/confir ··· -83428/#

Google Cast devices, like the Chromecast and Google Home cause temporarily Wifi dropouts for users around the world. The issue has been confirmed for routers from Asus, Linksys, Netgear, TP-Link or Synology. In some cases the router is totally inaccessible for a while, other users report the router only temporary disconnects from the internet. TP-Link and Linksys have confirmed the issue.

I have 2 Chromecasts and 2 Home mini's on my network and I have multiple issues mentioned in this thread... poor performance, network totally inaccessible randomly, 5G dropping out and/or becoming inaccessible, Connection reset errors on laptop, etc

The article linked above suggests to "disconnect the Google devices from your network as a temporary workaround"

Hopefully there will be a more permanent router firmware fix for this or fix from google soon!

I saw multiple posts here where users disconnect their google home devices, but keep experiencing issues with 5GHz.

I had google home and chromecast on my network for a long time, but run into this 5GHz issue about a month ago. Since then I found that switching from WPA2 to WPA2/WPA mixed mode helped, and even added a new google home mini recently.

0 Likes
BicepsBob1

I just changed my 5g connection setting to use mixed mode, so I'll see how it goes.

0 Likes
GB72

My thoughts exactly! We pay a monthly bill and Verizon should fix the issue or stop charging for their services. They’ve outgrown themselves and seem to be having great difficulty performing quality service. I’ve been asked multiple times to take time out of my day to perform cable and troubleshooting work for them. I don’t work for Verizon, nor did I sign up to volunteer as a cableman for the cable service I subscribe (pay) to. Verizon’s service sucks! I’m ooking for a replacement as we speak. For nearly $200/month my BRAND NEW cable box cuts off (reboots) approximately 2-3 times every 10-15 minutes! That’s not what I signed up for.

0 Likes
DM725
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had a Google Home on my home network for 13 months and never had issues until recently.  Maybe Google will fix that issue but the 5Ghz G1100 router isn't connected to that.

Ever since I turned off the 5Ghz from broadcasting on my G1100, I've had no issues with my 5Ghz network.

We have 2 MOCA range extenders broadcasting 5Ghz with the same SSID as the G1100, but the G1100 is only broadcasting 2.4Ghz.

Last night I decided to connect my old TP-LINK Archer C9 to the G1100 in Bridge Mode.  I have it a different SSID and it's been pumping out solid 5Ghz AC speeds on FiOS Gigabit.

If anyone has an extra router and doesn't want to be bothered anymore, I would recommend this for now.

0 Likes
Kcad
Enthusiast - Level 1

I contacted Verizon tech support.  They are aware of the problem, and claimed the engineers are working on a patch.  The tech support person I chatted with said that some customers reported that changing the channel setting to automatic aided in lessening the reboot frequency.

ookees

It's been happening to me as well since mid December. Changing from automatic to a selected channel is only a temporary fix. I resorted to using the 2.4 GHZ network but was still noticing issued which I believe is attributed to the Android TVs\Google Homes in some way. Though my Android TV and Google Home were either wired or on 2.4. Nexus player never saw the 5G network when I was using the FiOS router. I since bought Google Wifi and have not had any issues. I even can use my Nexus player with 5G now. 

0 Likes
Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Kcad wrote:

I contacted Verizon tech support.  They are aware of the problem, and claimed the engineers are working on a patch.  The tech support person I chatted with said that some customers reported that changing the channel setting to automatic aided in lessening

the reboot frequency.

I think some reps will tell you whatever to get you off the phone if you believe them, lol! The default setting for the channels is already set to automatic lol! 

As far as them charging for service... They charging for internet which is wired and wireless (both 2.4 and 5ghz) and they don't guarantee wireless speeds so trying to get a credit my be unlikely considering wired connections and 2.4ghz is working, lol! However if someone gets credited please let us know! 😂😂😂

0 Likes
hata28

I gave up on the G-1100! I got a refurbished Linksys EA7300 for $50 shipped from Amazon. Disabled the WiFi totally on G-1100 and happy ever after. 

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

I think some reps will tell you whatever to get you off the phone if you believe them, lol! The default setting for the channels is already set to automatic lol! 

As far as them charging for service... They charging for internet which is wired and wireless (both 2.4 and 5ghz) and they don't guarantee wireless speeds so trying to get a credit my be unlikely considering wired connections and 2.4ghz is working, lol! However if someone gets credited please let us know! 😂😂😂

Someone posted earlier that they received $50 credit for this issue when this just started.

0 Likes