Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
kdecoteau1

Hi there, this is about the piggyback of Verizon G1100 router. 

Today I tried a new trick that just came to mind.

I uninstalled Verizon router, USED a 6 feet 23 awg Cat7 1200mhz Ethernet cable with an old T-Mobile Asus AC1750 Cellspot as main router. I also have Verizon fios tv which wouldn't work without the G1100 because of the coax cable connection. I used AC1750 as main router, then G1100 as a Ethernet to coax for the tv, works excellent so far. I'm planning on getting a Netgear AC5300 Tri-Band X8  router, it have the mu-mimo 4x4, dual 4x4 5Ghz channel, plus single 4x4 2.4Ghz channel. I'll just used Verizon router as a adapter for tv and  nighawk as main router. Maybe in time Verizon comes up with a router quality as nighthawk, then we wouldn't need a none Verizon wireless router.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-AC5300-Nighthawk-X8-Tri-Band-WiFi-Router/49305018?wmlspartner=wlp...

0 Likes
kdecoteau1

I call them today, only sorry for the inconvenience. I had the problem for more  than 6 months now, I was using my Verizon cell phones and iPad's as main source for internet. last month I used 167GB of data, hopefully Verizon don't cap my wireless speed or drop me from there network. In my area I get 215mbps on my Note8, 147mbps iPhone 8 plus and 190mbps iPad pro 10.5 download speeds. If wasn't for these speeds, would had to cancel Verizon fios service because of the faulty G1100 router. Maybe soon they'll fixed the issue or push out a better G router.

0 Likes
cseaman1
Enthusiast - Level 2

See this post...there's evidence that Google Home and Chromecast devices may play a role in the crashing of wi-fi networks, potentially including the Quantum router:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Google-Home-devices-may-be-the-cause-of-the-problems-wit...

0 Likes
darienal

@cseaman wrote:

See this post...there's evidence that Google Home and Chromecast devices may play a role in the crashing of wi-fi networks, potentially including the Quantum router:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Google-Home-devices-may-be-the-cause-of-the-problems-wit...

Pretty sure this was already discussed and discarded earlier in this thread.

I for one have had 3 Chromecasts in my home since WAY before this problem started and never had any issues.  Plus I'd suspect that if this was the absolute cause it would take down the 5ghz and 2.4ghz connections.

0 Likes
itznotuitzsteve1

Hi all, I stumbled upon this article today: http://techtly.com/if-your-wi-fi-is-acting-wonky-your-google-home-and-chromecast-could-be-to-blame/

I'm not sure if it's directly related to our issue of not being able to hold the 5ghz connection (for those of us that have Chromecast or Google gome devices) but just wanted to share.

0 Likes
dugbinss

I've had terrible speeds on 2.4 Ghz with the G1100 but don't have much time to do my own tech support.  I replaced the router about 6 weeks ago to no avail.  Now I've been encountering the 5Ghz issue described here and have read through the entire thread this afternoon.  I will try some of the suggestions, but wanted to report that tech support replied that it is indeed a known issue (with no date, of course) and when I called customer service, they were quick to offer me an immediate $25 credit or $4/month for 12 months.  Since I'm locked in anyway, that adds up better.  May be shopping for a router as others have recommended.

0 Likes
Downdraft
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do not have any Google Home and Chromecast devices. When my 5G channel does connect it drops off after a few hours. 2.4G is spotty as well. By the way, I had a VZ tech bring me a new router Sunday. Same problem as the old one. The tech did not know about the drop out issue. I ran cat cable from the router to my main computers until the problem is solved.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

All, 

I just got this from support:

BHR4 Connectivity Issues with 5GHz Frequency (Fios ONLY)

Verizon has discovered a bug in the BHR4 Fios Quantum Gateway router which renders certain iOS and Android Wi-Fi devices unable to connect to the 5GHz frequency/SSID. The issue is a result of a bug in the FQG firmware, which is suspected to have been exposed and exasperated by recent iOS and Android upgrades on many wireless devices.

Customers may experience sudden disconnection of Wi-Fi devices from the 5GHz network of the BHR4. When attempting to re-connect the device to the 5GHz network, it may appear that the device is trying to reconnect, but no internet is available, or it connects and immediately disconnects.

Please note Verizon is aware of the problem:

1. There is a known problem that could potentially affect their ability to connect to the 5GHz frequency.
2. As a temporary workaround, “forget” the 5GHz connection (SSID_5GHz) on their device(s) and only connect to the 2.4GHz frequency for the time being.
3. Verizon is working on a fix that will be remotely applied to their router in the future.

chamilton2

Interesting information here. Like others I have had the same issue: 5G drops out after 2 days. Note: 5G is LISTED THERE UNDER MY WIRELESS NETWORK but it will not allow a connection. Also note, this is not specific to Android or iOS but it affects all my Windows devices as well. 

I spoke with a customer service rep and he was quite frank about the whole issue.

So, as of now, they are "working on it" while not acknowledging there is a problem and you will have no way of knowing when they fix it.   Sigh...

0 Likes
csternfield

Add me to the list of me too's.  I have contact verizon customer service twice after restarting the router on a near daily basis for the past few weeks.  On 13 Jan, the tech did a remote reset of the router.  It lasted until today (16 Jan). 

I have no chromecast devices.  With the exception of a TV and Kindle, no new devices have been added to the network recently.

0 Likes