Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
Jeffro
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't understand it - but in addiiton to my long post a few days ago regarding all our wireless devices losing connectivity - these router issues are getting worse for me!  I'm not sure whether Verizon is going in remotely and trying to change things and/or reset my router, but 3 times in the past 5 days, my SSIDs were not showing up. So - I logged into my router and I get the welcome message asking me to set up my wireless networks!  After proceeding to re-enter my SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, my router works for a few hours.  IN ADDITION - my Microsoft Surface Pro decided it would not connect to any of my networks the past few days.  (when it is in my work office location, it connects to wireless and wired connections all day, no problems).  I had to reboot the Surface Pro a few times and also reboot the router a few times to get it to connect.  (Note - when it is not working - the Surface Pro indicates that it is connected to my wireless network, but says, "Secured, No Internet".  Last but not least - my son's PS4, which is wired by a brand new ethernet cable - suddenly loses its connection on a daily basis.  The PS4 sees my router but indicates that it cannot get a valid IP address.   (And we have no more than about 20 devices in the house connected wired or wireless at any given time).  So... more router reboots to get the wired PS4 back online.  This is really getting frustrating to the point where I hope I don't take a sledgehammer to that router!  🙂  Verizon.. please, please fix ths soon!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

There is a lot more than just what your reporting.

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ChromeCast-Google-Home-Bug-Could-Overload-Your-Network-141062

And verizon is waiting for the manufacturer to give them a fix. Greenwave makes the router. Read the thread here and at DSL Reports for work arounds.

0 Likes
Talon99

I only started using the 5GHz mode a couple of weeks ago since I upgraded from 75 to Gigabit. I too had the issue of not being able to reconnect to 5GHz after some time, 10+ hrs give or take a couple.

So last night while I was curious to know what IP I would get if I connected to the guest wifi because I was researching on creating a subnet, I was surprised that after I switched back to my main wifi, I was able to reconnect to the 5GHz band.  Tonight, I had no issue reconnecting to it as well.  So far so good and no more resetting of the router every time I get home from work.

So somewhere in there I am thinking the issue is with session expiration.  I also tried my wife's iPhone which had the same issue previously, and it's now able to connect.

I hope it lasts longer.

0 Likes
cseaman1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good news, Google promises a fix for their wi-fi issue (which is likely the one reported here) coming tomorrow:
https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/17/google-fix-wifi-bug-cast-devices/

0 Likes
cseaman1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess you can't blame people for not understanding that everything runs on software :).  Even Chromecasts and Google Home devices receive software updates behind the scenes, and their networking behaviors in various circumstances will change based on those updates.  The problem was likely introduced with a software update, which means having a device and not seeing a problem does not exclude that device from being the cause when a problem appears.

0 Likes
5G works, then doesn't, then works, then doesn't...
berkoz9121

Ever since I've started service with Fios, our internet has just been a horrible pain.

We've gone through 2 different routers, 2 different in-person repairs and this is still an ongoing issue.

Every time I call about 5G being completely down, they said they restarted something and it works, for about 2 days, then goes off again.

I've called countless times regarding this issue and all Verizon does is give me a credit.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I've been with Fio since Oct '17 and am ready to cancel next month due to all of this frustration. I'm paying for the '1GB' speeds but can't get anywhere near half of that because of the lack of 5G.

0 Likes
Re: 5G works, then doesn't, then works, then doesn't...
jonjones1
Legend

@berkoz912 wrote:

Ever since I've started service with Fios, our internet has just been a horrible pain.

We've gone through 2 different routers, 2 different in-person repairs and this is still an ongoing issue.

Every time I call about 5G being completely down, they said they restarted something and it works, for about 2 days, then goes off again.

I've called countless times regarding this issue and all Verizon does is give me a credit.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I've been with Fio since Oct '17 and am ready to cancel next month due to all of this frustration. I'm paying for the '1GB' speeds but can't get anywhere near half of that because of the lack of 5G.

There is currently two issues with Verizon Quantum Gateway Router losing 5 Ghz connectivity on WiFi. The other forum thread deals with possible google products causing dropped WiFi connections. Don’t know if you have google Chromecast or home products but that may be an issue.

also if you go to the “Fios internet “ section instead of high speed internet section you can read the other posts.

0 Likes
berkoz9121

Thanks for the info.

Since it's been 4 months with this issue, I'm paying for a service that is not being given.

I was offered a one-time credit but doesn't seem fair to pay $120/month for only 2.4. 

That's another concern for me and a reason as to why I'm most likely switching.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@berkoz912 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Since it's been 4 months with this issue, I'm paying for a service that is not being given.

I was offered a one-time credit but doesn't seem fair to pay $120/month for only 2.4. 

That's another concern for me and a reason as to why I'm most likely switching.

The failure of the router would not be a real reason to just quit Fios. But that is always up to the customer. The routers update will first come from the manufacturer of the router which is Greenwave and then Verizon will push it out.

The problem here is this loss of 5 Ghz has been going on for quite awhile. And since there was no influx of complaints it is now just being addressed.

The other issue is that 5 Ghz is not far reaching as WiFi goes. 2.4 Ghz is farther in distance connections but not as fast as 5 Ghz . The other problem is Verizon Fios does not care about WiFi. They provide the fastest internet to your home. If you use an ethernet cable to connect directly to the router from your computer it will be blazing fast. 

You could also use your own router in access point mode and turn off the crappy Quantum WiFi and use your own. Or just get rid of the crappy Quantum all together, save some money on rental fees and have a better router handle the service.

0 Likes
berkoz9121

Thanks. When I signed up, I was told I HAD to use their router. I guess I was dupped.

0 Likes