Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

@cseaman wrote:

I guess you can't blame people for not understanding that everything runs on software :).  Even Chromecasts and Google Home devices receive software updates behind the scenes, and their networking behaviors in various circumstances will change based on those updates.  The problem was likely introduced with a software update, which means having a device and not seeing a problem does not exclude that device from being the cause when a problem appears.

This is a bug in Quantum Gateway reported earlier in this thread by CRobGauth.

Details below. So, there is no reason to blame Google or Apple for this issue.

Quote:

"BHR4 Connectivity Issues with 5GHz Frequency (Fios ONLY)

Verizon has discovered a bug in the BHR4 Fios Quantum Gateway router which renders certain iOS and Android Wi-Fi devices unable to connect to the 5GHz frequency/SSID. The issue is a result of a bug in the FQG firmware, which is suspected to have been exposed and exasperated by recent iOS and Android upgrades on many wireless devices.

Customers may experience sudden disconnection of Wi-Fi devices from the 5GHz network of the BHR4. When attempting to re-connect the device to the 5GHz network, it may appear that the device is trying to reconnect, but no internet is available, or it connects and immediately disconnects.

Please note Verizon is aware of the problem:

1. There is a known problem that could potentially affect their ability to connect to the 5GHz frequency.
2. As a temporary workaround, “forget” the 5GHz connection (SSID_5GHz) on their device(s) and only connect to the 2.4GHz frequency for the time being.
3. Verizon is working on a fix that will be remotely applied to their router in the future."

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

It was reported by the original poster.

CRobGauth only repeated what the forum administrator posted already. 

It has/had also been reported by this forum poster (link below)

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31729006-Networking-G1100-5ghz-not-working

In fact I had responded with a general fix of just use 2.4 Ghz until a update is released.

when Verizon was still saying nothing about it.

Go back to the beginning of the thread.

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

@jonjones wrote:

It was reported by the original poster.

CRobGauth only repeated what the forum administrator posted already. 

It has/had also been reported by this forum poster (link below)

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31729006-Networking-G1100-5ghz-not-working

In fact I had responded with a general fix of just use 2.4 Ghz until a update is released.

when Verizon was still saying nothing about it.

Go back to the beginning of the thread.

Thank you for details.

I did not disable 5GHz, just switched from WPA2 to WPA2/WPA mixed mode, and was not experiencing much trouble since then. This is less secure than WPA2, so I hope Verizon will push an update that fixes the bug some time in this century.

0 Likes
Talon99

Has anyone else tried my suggestion on page 29?  I'm on my third night without problems, and I'm using 5G on WPA2.

0 Likes
Re: 5G works, then doesn't, then works, then doesn't...
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@berkoz912 wrote:

Thanks. When I signed up, I was told I HAD to use their router. I guess I was dupped.

It depends. If you don't have FIOS TV service with their STBs, you can use any rotuer you want. That being said, support is limited as Verizon can't help you troubleshoot with equipment they aren't familiar with.

If you are have TV service with FIOS STB, it is best to use their router. Unless you are quite adept at networking and router programming. There are a number of things that need to be enabled to get full use of STB services.

You can add your own router to FIOS router either as an access point of additional router. As an additional router, there are some limitations in access to FIOS STBs using their app.

0 Likes
Talon99

@Talon99 wrote:

Has anyone else tried my suggestion on page 29?  I'm on my third night without problems, and I'm using 5G on WPA2.

Well, on this 4th night the problem is back.

0 Likes
Chris_Vball1

Just adding to the chain.  My 5g drops as well.  Support said it was a known issue.  Might try turning off the radios and hang one of the APs I have laying around to handle wifi until there is a fix.  Was fine until recently and I am on Oreo also have a Chromecast

0 Likes
wecoyote5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

A little feedback... Based on my experience over the last 2 months I concur with measto's report, the firmware issue looks to be exacerbated by iOS and/or Android devices. Without making any config changes to my router I removed all non-PC devices (phones, Google home, Nest, etc) from my G1100 5G and now only have 3 Lenovo laptops running Ubuntu currently connected. Since I made that change over 2 weeks ago the G1100 5G has been solid.

TommRXE
Enthusiast - Level 2

Haven't re-tried the 5ghz for maybe a week or so. At that time it was still disconnected, so I left it that way, figuring that when and IF they ever fixed it, it would just suddenly start working again all by itself without my doing anything. So tonight, I tried logging into the router just to look at the status but was careful NOT to change any settings. Before when I would do that, the 5ghz status would just say "disconnected". But tonight, much to my surprise (and cautious delight), it said "CONNECTED"!

So I gave it another go and switched my phone's wifi back to the 5 ghz and.....IT WORKED!!!

So it seems they finally fixed this long standing issue once and for all. I'll believe it for sure if it stays connected in the coming days. I would say if it stays fixed for an entire week, then it's truly fixed. I'll check back here in the coming days to see what everyone else thinks and to periodically report success or failure. Let's all hope it's really REALLY fixed this time without any funky settings or intervention on our parts (meaning we, the customers).

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

@TommRXE wrote:

Haven't re-tried the 5ghz for maybe a week or so. At that time it was still disconnected, so I left it that way, figuring that when and IF they ever fixed it, it would just suddenly start working again all by itself without my doing anything. So tonight, I tried logging into the router just to look at the status but was careful NOT to change any settings. Before when I would do that, the 5ghz status would just say "disconnected". But tonight, much to my surprise (and cautious delight), it said "CONNECTED"!

So I gave it another go and switched my phone's wifi back to the 5 ghz and.....IT WORKED!!!

So it seems they finally fixed this long standing issue once and for all. I'll believe it for sure if it stays connected in the coming days. I would say if it stays fixed for an entire week, then it's truly fixed. I'll check back here in the coming days to see what everyone else thinks and to periodically report success or failure. Let's all hope it's really REALLY fixed this time without any funky settings or intervention on our parts (meaning we, the customers).

What do you see on the System Monitoring page when you login to the router?

This is the firmware version with the bug:

UI Version: v1.0.234

Firmware Version 01.04.00.12

Model Name: FiOS-G1100

0 Likes