Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
MattinNJ1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I figured out the final step in the solution to fix the sporadic / dropped wi-fi issues... at least this worked like a charm for me and several friends... all of which use the Chrome browser... some have Google Chromecast / Home devices and others have Amazon Fire Stick / Echos... some have Android phones and some have iPhones... now we all have rock solid wi-fi for the past 5 days with no drops whatsoever.  (Yes, I've read every solution thus far regarding Chromecast/Home mDNS 'DDOS', Google Play Services updates, G1100 firmware updates, etc.)

1) On each computer on your network, open the Chrome browser.

2) Cut and paste this link into address bar:
chrome://flags/#load-media-router-component-extension

3) Next to the entry "Load Media Router Component Extension", change the setting to 'Disable'

4)  Click relaunch at bottom of page.  (Chrome should re-launch with flag showing 'Disabled').

5)  Reboot your router (and any bridge). 

That's it... should be good to go with no more sporadic wi-fi issues.
hermetic_charm

@maestro wrote:

@TommRXE wrote:

Haven't re-tried the 5ghz for maybe a week or so. At that time it was still disconnected, so I left it that way, figuring that when and IF they ever fixed it, it would just suddenly start working again all by itself without my doing anything. So tonight, I tried logging into the router just to look at the status but was careful NOT to change any settings. Before when I would do that, the 5ghz status would just say "disconnected". But tonight, much to my surprise (and cautious delight), it said "CONNECTED"!

So I gave it another go and switched my phone's wifi back to the 5 ghz and.....IT WORKED!!!

So it seems they finally fixed this long standing issue once and for all. I'll believe it for sure if it stays connected in the coming days. I would say if it stays fixed for an entire week, then it's truly fixed. I'll check back here in the coming days to see what everyone else thinks and to periodically report success or failure. Let's all hope it's really REALLY fixed this time without any funky settings or intervention on our parts (meaning we, the customers).

What do you see on the System Monitoring page when you login to the router?

This is the firmware version with the bug:

UI Version: v1.0.234

Firmware Version 01.04.00.12

Model Name: FiOS-G1100

I can verify the latest firmware does NOT fix this.  Here's the first four lines from my System Monitoring page:

UI Version: v1.0.294
Firmware Version 02.00.01.05
Model Name: FiOS-G1100
Hardware Version: 1.03

This update was pushed to me recently, not exactly sure when but some time in the last week or so.  I re-enabled the 5ghz channel and it stopped working again pretty quickly.

0 Likes
Re: Fios 5g connectivity issues
KevSha72
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not been able to connect to 5ghz for well over a month. The only thing Verizon tells me is that it's a firmware issue and is being worked.  I'm paying to have 75mbps/75mbps, but only getting half that on 2.4ghz. I wished Verizon would get this fixed soon.

TommRXE
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry (and dissappointed) to say it failed in the same way again about a day or two later. I have the same version as before. Mine is:

UI Version: v1.0.234

Firmware Version 01.04.00.12

0 Likes
TommRXE
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry (and dissappointed) to say it failed in the same way again about a day or two later. I have the same version as before. So false alarm. I also checked my UI  and firmware version and I'm still see same version as before  (i.e. the bad version since all this trouble began back last December.

So sorry folks. Looks like the "fix" turned out to be a false alarm. Will keep you all posted if there's any change

0 Likes
astrobill
Enthusiast - Level 2

All:

I was told by a FiOS service rep during an online chat session that they have discovered a bug in the QUantum routers. 

- Bill

mdvac1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Tired of waiting on fix from Verizon so I bought a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 at Costco ($120).  Works great in AP mode and no more problems.  It also fixed an ongoing problem I’ve had with streaming Amazon Prime music. The music would be OK for a while then stop and start and finally quit altogether.  This same problem was also present on my previous router - Actiontec MI424WR.

0 Likes
astrobill
Enthusiast - Level 2

All:

EDITED:

Ok, so as folks appear to know, there's a *bug* in all Quantum routers on FiOS that can often (?) prevent 5 GHz WiFi devices from joining the wireless network correctly.  Started at least mid-Dec 2017 (maybe earlier). 

0 Likes
capnfatpants
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also getting more angry with every passing day. This is not what I'm paying for. This is making the switch to cable internet more and more appealing where I already own a DOCSIS 3 modem and router, all of which I control and don't have broken firmware updates pushed to me with no way to roll back. This is bad business, but don't worry, with the repeal of net neutrality, I'm sure Verizon will be free to screw us over even better in the future.

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

@mdvac wrote:

Tired of waiting on fix from Verizon so I bought a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 at Costco ($120).  Works great in AP mode and no more problems.  It also fixed an ongoing problem I’ve had with streaming Amazon Prime music. The music would be OK for a while then stop and start and finally quit altogether.  This same problem was also present on my previous router - Actiontec MI424WR.

If Verizon did not pay for your new router, then it is nothing to brag about... 😉

0 Likes