Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
jonjones1
Legend

@maestro wrote:

@mdvac wrote:

Tired of waiting on fix from Verizon so I bought a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 at Costco ($120).  Works great in AP mode and no more problems.  It also fixed an ongoing problem I’ve had with streaming Amazon Prime music. The music would be OK for a while then stop and start and finally quit altogether.  This same problem was also present on my previous router - Actiontec MI424WR.

If Verizon did not pay for your new router, then it is nothing to brag about... 😉

It is a solution. Using your own router is the best way to solve the problem. Even if it were not an issue it will pay for itself in a two year +/- period.

It is causing Verizon to lose monthly revenue via the $10 monthly fee.

And what possible solutions can it be to keep having people post “my 5g is still not working and I am going to look at alternatives “?  This poster did take action and they have stable WiFi and they are happy. 

ArmchairAllstar

@jonjones wrote:

@maestro wrote:

@mdvac wrote:

Tired of waiting on fix from Verizon so I bought a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 at Costco ($120).  Works great in AP mode and no more problems.  It also fixed an ongoing problem I’ve had with streaming Amazon Prime music. The music would be OK for a while then stop and start and finally quit altogether.  This same problem was also present on my previous router - Actiontec MI424WR.

If Verizon did not pay for your new router, then it is nothing to brag about... 😉

It is a solution. Using your own router is the best way to solve the problem. Even if it were not an issue it will pay for itself in a two year +/- period.

And what possible solutions can it be to keep having people post “my 5g is still not working and I am going to look at alternatives “?  This poster did take action and they have stable WiFi and they are happy. 

Yep,  I had bought my Quantum router over two years ago so it had paid for itself.  I ended up just buying an Asus AC-86U router which is just so much faster in every way (Wifi, more RAM, and way more processing power).  It has yet to get bogged down like the Quantum router.  Verizon never released the specific specs of the Quantum but I wouldn't be suprised if the Asus router had at least a 4x more powerful CPU.

The only two downsides are:

-I can't sell my Quantum because it is needed for the TV guide to still work.

-I miss being able to remotely program my DVR with the phone app.

0 Likes
BvZ1

A Verizon support rep confirmed this morning that this is a known defect, and effects all Quantum router's 5Ghz WiFi. 

Its frustrating that this issue has gone on for a whole month without a solution, and the engineers at Verizon are not making this more of a priority. My home network which I rely on working remotely is entirely crippled thanks to this bug.

They should really be offering a refund or rebate of some kind for loss of service

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

@jonjones wrote:

@maestro wrote:

@mdvac wrote:

I dont think the best solution is to get your own router, unless you get lifetime support and replacement, similar to what you get with Verizon router. And even then, if you run into any problems with your router, it will be very difficult to troubleshoot and resolve.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Actually you don’t get life time support on the router. If rented I would say yes.

if purchased no replacement for free after the two year warranty runs out.

using your own router assumes the owner knows how to fix minor situations. The long told story was if you use your own you are on your own.

granted unlike cable who have databases for different modems/routers Fios does not operate the same way. Shortly in NY that will be changing if the consumer bill is passed in the senate and assembly. Verizon may very well just adopt the policy of supporting different routers. Who knows.

The best thing to remember is owning your own router gets firmware updates on a regular basis. I know my Netgear does. Most customers who own their own routers have web based tech support and paid support for larger issues. Additionally if a customer uses the Verizon router and their own in access point mode the better WiFi on most high end routers is superior. 

And yes I highly recommend the use of another better router to not have this WiFi issues crop up in the future.

No 5g
drbink

If you've got a new modem that is supposed to have 5g wifi, but doesn't, you are not alone. Simply search 5g on these forums and you'll find hundreds of pages of complaints. It's a problem with the router that Verizon is either unable or unwilling to fix. Aside from that, the only solution I can think of is to call them daily and complain until someone at Verizon finally figures out it may be worth while to get this fixed. Then switch to alternate internet vendors, if needed.

0 Likes
Sardonnicus

Hello!  I am joining this conversation. 

I had something similar happen and wanted to share.

I have the Quantum G1100 FIOS router and I have been enjoying the 5G connection without incident for the last few months.  On Tuesday of this week I was chatting and gaming with friends on my PC using my 5G connection that I have though Verizon.  Without warning, I lost connection to the internet. I shut down discord, reset the router, and reset my PC.  When everything came back up a few minutes later, the 5G connection had disappeared from my list of available connections. Currently I am able to connect to the internet with my 2.4G connection, but the 5G connection seems to have vanished. But what has me really puzzled is... My phone can see and connect to the 5G connection. So can my roommates phone, TV and PC.  So this seems to be isolated to my personal PC.

I have called Verizon, they have confirmed that my router is working properly and broadcasting both 2.4g and 5g signals.  They did mention something about a bug  with 5g and that sometimes the 5G service just stops randomly and goes "in and out" sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.  They seemed intent in convincing me that this is how it's supposed to work.

What i find strange is that everything was fine for the past few months.  And then it sunndenly goes away on tuesday.  And even more puzziling is that my phone can see the 5g connection and connect to it as well as my roommates PC and phone.  This leads me to believe the issue lies with my PC in some way.  But I am not sure.

0 Likes
astrobill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Sardonnicus:

Did you read the previous messages in this thread? 

There is no doubt at this point....yes, the issue you're having is almost certainly the same one most of us are having, and is due to a software bug in the Verizon Quantum Router.

The only sure way to avoid problems for now is to turn off the 5GHz WiFi in your router until Verizon's router maker ("Greenwave") fixes the bug in the firmware and Verizon pushes it out to all routers.

Are you familiar with how to login to your router and turn off the 5GHz service?

There are threads in this forum about how to do that.  For example, one such thread is at:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/How-to-disable-5-ghz-on-a-dual-band-router/td-p/825599

R,

BP

0 Likes
Sardonnicus

Hi Astrobill!

Yes, I did read many pages of this thread.  I found it appropriate to add my experiences to the discussion.  Escpecailly so because I can see the 5G connection with my phone and connect to it.  I find it strange that my roommates PC can see and connect to the 5G connection but my PC cannot.  And my 5G connection had been working fine up until Tuesday of this week.  I find it strange that this happened all of sudden.

0 Likes
astrobill
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Sardonnicus:

Well, to be clear, it appears there is variation in devices' ability to deal with the Verizon Quantum router firmware bug on the 5GHz WiFi network. 

For example, macOS and OSX computers may have different success trying to connect than Windows devices.  Similarly, iOS and Android devices may have different issues dealing with Verizon's bug.  This probably has something to do with variations in how different vendors implement (or adhere) to WiFi standards, as well as with device-specific tricks they use to optimize WiFi connectivity.

There may also be differences depending on what *version* of an OS is running on a given device, as well as what software updates dealing with WiFi have been applied to that device. 

In my case, just shutting off the 5GHz WiFi was the easiest way to deal with the issue while waiting for Verizon to patch this issue on their end . 

Since their customer service reps claim the speed of FiOS is "not guaranteed," they're already pushing back on any requests to be compensated for our time and effort debugging the issue on our own. 

R,

BP

0 Likes