Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
codebrewer
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Candlestyx wrote:

I am having the same problems with the 5G wifi network and I have called Verizon numerous times nd I get the answer: It is a known network issue.  Changing the router will do no good, since it seems to be in the network.  

I have also seen the "phantom 5G network" that comes from my router.  It is a strong signal and it goes up and down in strength like a wquare wave.  It is on the same channel as the home 5G network and when I change channels, it changes too.

No one at Verizon has ever heard of this phantom network.

I'm nearly positive that the "phantom" network is coming from a chromecast or google home on your network. I believe that is how they enable "guest mode". Shouldn't really be a problem, and you can try turning off guess access in the Google Home app. I believe turning off the guest access stopped the "phantom" network from showing up for me.

Remhead

Everyone... i have no clue where my post lies in this long thread.  HOWEVER.... ever since Verizon Tech Support manually set my 5G channel to a lower channel, I HAVE NOT EVEN ONCE needed to reboot my router/modem.  I'm always very skepitcal of their tech support.  I have to be honest.... THIS WORKED.   I was having to restart the router everyday.  It's been 3 weeks.  NOTHING!  And I have SONOS, laptops, phones, PS4s, desktops, smart home devices.... etc.  (ok, SONOS is only 2.4ghz.. but you get the point).    No joke. Try it. Anyone who is still having issues has nothing to lose by just selecting ANYTHING EXCEPT 149, 153, or 157.   I'm set to 44.   TRY IT!  Cheers!

0 Likes
Joepaone1

I'm having the same issue 5g says "connected - ;&aaaaaa@aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa@@

0 Likes
Mechelle2

We are on our 3rd Quantum Gateway G1100 router. Verizon tech was out to our home. Have been on phone with Verizon nearly every week since December. They kept tweaking channels and settings. Finally last weekend got a Verizon rep who recognized there was a documented issue with Greenwave’s firmware causing 5G to lose connectivity since some time the December. He conferences in Greenwave’s help desk. Their rep was unaware of this problem nor did he know when a fix would be released. However, he did say that when a fix to firmware is released that Verizon could push it out and it would then automatically take effect.

0 Likes
lpe5101

I'm not sure if its related, but I was having the same 5ghz drop issue until Google updated the play service app to fix the google home/chromecast issues they were having.  Since the play services update, I have not had an issue which was about 4 days ago.  

0 Likes
Candlestyx

The phantom network comes from the router and disappears when the router is turned off.  There are no guest networks and no chromecasts.  It always occupies the same channel as the 5G network.  As others have written in these posts, I can reboot the router and the 5G network stays active sometimes for several days and then it myteriously won't connect.  Signal strength is strong but it says it can't connect.  I have Comcast at my second home and their new system is much better and the TVs are much sharper than FIOS.  I will likely change to Comcast.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So it appears a fix is imminent.

This is what will be coming out.

Look for version 2.0.1.7

· Fixes to alleviate loss of WiFi connectivity, primarily seen impacting 5 GHz, due to GoogleCast and similar multicast services. · Improved WiFi stability. · Ethernet stability fixes. · MoCA stability enhancements. · General device stability improvements. · Firmware upgrade errors reduced.

jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

So it appears a fix is imminent.

This is what will be coming out.

Look for version 2.0.1.7

· Fixes to alleviate loss of WiFi connectivity, primarily seen impacting 5 GHz, due to GoogleCast and similar multicast services. · Improved WiFi stability. · Ethernet stability fixes. · MoCA stability enhancements. · General device stability improvements. · Firmware upgrade errors reduced.

Not really a fix for the Quantum Gateway Router the google fix for their devices seems stable, but the fix for the router is not out yet. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31782603-

It seems only a few people claim to have received a new firmware update which was quickly pulled. Still at square one.

0 Likes
plagasx

Yea, I give up. I bought a netgear nighthawk X4S. Planning on putting it in AP mode. Anyone have experience doing this? What are the nesseccary steps? 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@plagasx wrote:

Yea, I give up. I bought a netgear nighthawk X4S. Planning on putting it in AP mode. Anyone have experience doing this? What are the nesseccary steps? 

Real simple. Leave the Quantum router plugged in from the ont to the wan port as it is.

take the Nighthawk and take the rj-45 cable from its wan port and plug into the Fios Quantum Gateway Router in one of the available LAN ports. (There are four of them)

then access the Netgear via login the http://www.routerlogin.net 

then enter the password included with your Netgear. Go to the advanced tab, and select access point mode. Click the toggle box to activate it.

once done go into the Quantum router and login 192.168.1.1 enter the login name and password for the Fios router. Then click on the wireless tab and turn off the 2.4, 5 Ghz modes and the guest network on the Quantum router. Then click save and then log off.

now you should be all set.

the Netgear router has this information in the user manual http://www.netgear.com

just type in your device name or number and download the manual.

0 Likes