Quantum Gateway 2.4 GHz channel to my laptop slowed down 50% after I changed the WPA2 password
dtdt1

Hi, I just got FIOS internet 50/50 with the quantum gateway AC router a couple days ago.  Right after setup, I tested it with speedtest.net and I got only 30/30 on my 2.4GHz channel from my laptop.  Is that normal?  That same night, I changed the router WPA2 password.  Soon after that, I seemed to have performance issue with my laptop.  I have to reboot my laptop every time I change the WPA2 password or else it would be so slow that it is practically unusable.  And after rebooting, so far, the best I can get is 23/10 and the average is more like 15/8.  I have even reset the router back to factory default and redid the whole setup process.  It didn't help.  Does anyone know how to resolve this?  Remember I got 30/30 right after setup.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum Gateway 2.4 GHz channel to my laptop slowed down 50% after I changed the WPA2 password
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure what your problem is but it has nothing to do with the password change.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum Gateway 2.4 GHz channel to my laptop slowed down 50% after I changed the WPA2 password
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

didt....WiFi performance can vary a lot.  I'm not sure there is a "normal." 

For whatever it's worth though, I have 75/75 service and consistantly get ~50/50 down and up on 2.4 GHz and ~80/80 on 5 GHz on a MacBook Pro or iPhone 6 but only ~25/25 on my old Dell laptop.  But even on the old Dell I get over 80/80 with a hard wired connection.

Having said that, I suggest the first troubleshooting step you take is connect your laptop to your router via Ethernet cable.  Verizon (and other ISP's) only guarantee hard wired speeds.   Run speedtest.net with a hardwired connetion and see if you get the speeds you're paying for.

That test will determine what you might do further to find why your wifi speeds are on the low side.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you can, try connecting to the 5Ghz network on your laptop as well if the laptop's wireless adapter supports 5Ghz. That will provide much better performance, at the expense of range. 30Mbps/30Mbps is certainly not the best it can do, and usually depends on the environment.

Something else does seem wrong though, if problems were encountered after changing the password both in the router and on the computer.

0 Likes