Re: Quantum Gateway - 2.4Ghz goes down, but 5Ghz is fine - post February firmware upgrade
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Doesn't look as though anyone has tried contacting support?

Has anyone?

Re: Quantum Gateway - 2.4Ghz goes down, but 5Ghz is fine - post February firmware upgrade
Catalyst75

I have contacted support twice and I recieved a new router today. Connected it4 hrs ago and just 15 min ago, went out, just like usual. I am going to try naming the 2 networks 2 different things and try different channel numbers. Other than that, I am out of ideas. Except to only have one network on at a time. Which means I have to use just the 2.4Ghz, due to my Nest thermostat, ur I will freeze, living in my basement.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is it just wifi that goes out or internet in general?

Do you have something hardwwired to router that goes out?

Or if you watch somethin on VOD (assuming you have STB) does it stop?

SMAKLE

My house start to have the same issue. 

0 Likes
Catalyst75

The one computer that is hardwired is fine. 

It is the 2.4Ghz that goes down. It is not the router. I have now replaced that. It seems to be however Verizon sets it up. The naming of it, the channels or something. The 5Ghz runs smoothly and I haven't seen any issues with that network at all. But I will reboot (power, basic & factory) the router and anywhere from 40 minutes to 4 hours later, the 2.4Ghz network will go down. I can tell because my Nest thermostat will fall off the network and my house will start dropping in temperature. That will be the first indicator. Some of my other devices, like my phone and computer, I can use the 5Ghz, but without having to go out and spend another $200+ dollars for a new thermostat, this 'upgrade' in speed has been NOTHING but one BIG headache. I am getting to the point of either stepping down in speed. Or cancelling my service due to them not being able to provide me a decent quality of service.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Catalyst75 wrote:

The one computer that is hardwired is fine. 

It is the 2.4Ghz that goes down. It is not the router. I have now replaced that. It seems to be however Verizon sets it up. The naming of it, the channels or something. The 5Ghz runs smoothly and I haven't seen any issues with that network at all. But I will reboot (power, basic & factory) the router and anywhere from 40 minutes to 4 hours later, the 2.4Ghz network will go down. I can tell because my Nest thermostat will fall off the network and my house will start dropping in temperature. That will be the first indicator. Some of my other devices, like my phone and computer, I can use the 5Ghz, but without having to go out and spend another $200+ dollars for a new thermostat, this 'upgrade' in speed has been NOTHING but one BIG headache. I am getting to the point of either stepping down in speed. Or cancelling my service due to them not being able to provide me a decent quality of service.

We don't use the Nest thermostat however we use a security camera system and it may be the nest. Certain devices go into a standby mode when not in use. The 2.4 May still be active (test this with a wireless laptop or tablet) there are settings in these devices that show if the connection was out of service. Like I said you cannot blame the Fios service for the device going into sleep mode.

does the Nest site have a community forum? If so others may have the same issue as yourself and maybe even a solution. 

In our cameras situation the camera may go into standby mode. If a snowflake just passes by it grabs the wifi once again. 

You could try to program the Nest to auto heat/cool sooner if that is possible.

Good Luck

0 Likes
ysrgrathe

I have the same problem.  Rebooting the router fixes it (temporarily) as does simply resetting the 2.4GHz radio in the admin tools.  This is not an interference issue, the 2.4GHz VLAN just stops routing.  It's very annoying.

0 Likes
Catalyst75

I'm sorry. I have been meaning to post my "solution" for a while now. I figure a way to "fix it".

On my Mac, I can hold down the 'Option" key while I click on my WiFi icon and it gives me an additional option "Open Wireless Diagnostics", then I click on Window, Scan, and it gives me a window and it will give me a list of the channels of the networks near me. I will see my neighbors 2.5Ghz & 5Ghz. When I scan, it will show me the best channels to change to in the router options. 

If you go into the "myfiosgateway.com", -->"Wireless Settings", -->"Basic Security Settings". There you can change the channels in the drop down based off the scan you did in the previous step. If you are in Windows, you will have to Google on how to do a scan. I know I have read how, I just dont remember off the top of my head at the moment. It is not a permanent fix. I do have to go in once a week or so and click on the ""apply" button again for it to "refresh" the settings. But its a lot quicker than resetting the router. It takes mere seconds for the settings to take effect.

0 Likes
ScottieB
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had this problem today. Apparantly Verizon uploaded the new firmware today after I upgraded from 75 to 100mps. The separate names for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks appeared. Exact same issues. 2.4 Ghz devices lose connection when another device connects on 5 Ghz. It created an IP address conflict. 

Solution: Reboot all wireless devices to obtain new IP addresses.

Grappa
Enthusiast - Level 3

We got Fios a few weeks ago with the G1100 router, and have had exactly the same experience.   2.4 will run for a day, then will only permit slow service, and then will become unresponsive.  Windows works a little better than Ubuntu or Android.

Does Verizon monitor these communities?  Any hope of a firmware fix?

Thanks

0 Likes