Re: Quantum Gateway - 2.4Ghz goes down, but 5Ghz is fine - post February firmware upgrade
Grappa
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was able to get my connection running at full speed on Ubuntu laptop with three changes.  I turned off Power Saving to my wireless card, I installed WICD, and used the command

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Hope this helps someone!

0 Likes
Re: Quantum Gateway - 2.4Ghz goes down, but 5Ghz is fine - post February firmware upgrade
_cameron_

I was monitoring my Wifi Scanner (from AccessAgility LLC) while configuring and reconfiguring the Wifi on a brand new Quantum Gateway. When I specified a channel for the 2.4Ghz radio, the 2.4Ghz radio shut off and did not restart. I tried a few different options to see if I could re-enable it, including rebooting and hard-powering the device, and nothing worked for me. Finally, I set it back to Automatic (channel selection), and it started working again immediately. It's pretty clear that the device and/or its firmware is either ridiculously buggy and/or only half-baked. (Firmware version 01.04.00.10-FTR.)

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you running Frontier Branded firmware on the Verizon FiOS network? If so, you may want to exchange the G1100 for one with Verizon firmware, that way you recive firmware update pushes from Verizon. 

bergler

I was able to fix this issue by renaming my SSID. Previously I had them setup like [name]-2 and [name]-5 so maybe they were too similar or the IP addresses weren't getting renewed even though I got a new router. When I gave the SSID a completely different name, my issue resolved.

0 Likes
ArmchairAllstar

Same issue here.  Did renaming the SSIDs to different names fix the drops?

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah yeah, to be honest is is not a good thing to have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz both named the same in many cases.

It can work no doubt, but there can be times the connection drops because it switched to 5GHz and you were just out of range or on the edge of being out of range and it can cause connectivity issues.

Some devices also don't handle swapping from an a router to an extender very well either, so sometime actively turning your wifi off then on again is a good way to ensure you are getting the best connection where you are in your home.

I actually had issues with the router when the network names were the same when I first got it. The rep I talked on the phone "split" the SSIDs (specifically the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi networks on the router) and all the issues went away for me, so I avoid having them the same name if I can help it.

Grappa
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am a Ubuntu user.  This is my second post to this thread.  I  continued to have intermittent problems since going to wicd, and about a month ago I tried deleting the ".cache" directory.  All my network problems with my Verizon router went away.  Ubuntu had apparently been saving something from my previous router or the previous firmware upgrade.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
GDoan
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, I've read through this entire thread and I, too, have been having these issues, probably since sometime in November. BUT, for me, it's the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi that drops on me and must be reset...

I had a lot going on in Nov/Dec and didn't devote any time to troubleshooting. I would just power cycle the G1100 router when I noticed things offline. I have a Nokia (formerly Withings) Home Cam/Air monitor that flashes orange when it loses connectivity. That and a few devices will generate alerts when they can't phone home.

I have quite a "busy" network. ~80+ IP addressable devices that includes a Gen 1 Chromecast, a Gen 2 one and one Chromecast Audio. In early Jan, I started paying attention to what was up and what was down when I lost connectivity. I soon realized it was only 2.4GHz devices that would drop off and bounce the router or toggling the 2.4 Wi-Fi setting in the router would restore them. Power cycling the router would usually restore things for a couple of days whereas I discovered that toggling the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi setting usually kept things running for about a week or so before the next glitch. I use the Gen 2 Chromecast almost daily but maybe I'll take them all offline and see..?

0 Likes
cseaman1
Enthusiast - Level 2

See this post...there's evidence that Google Home and Chromecast devices may play a role in the crashing of wi-fi networks, potentially including the Quantum router:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Google-Home-devices-may-be-the-cause-of-the-problems-wit...

0 Likes
sweitz1

I am having the exact same issue and just got off the phone with a support agent. She said this is a known issue - even checked with the support team for fixes, and none were available. She double-checked that my router was on the most recent firmware, which it is.

So, hopefully Verizon will fix this issue in a future firmware update, as clearly they know it is a problem. Given that this problem has been going on for almost 2 years, and that they clearly know it based on the conversation I just had, I am shocked they haven't fixed it by now... well, maybe not shocked, as that implies "extreme surprise at the situation" and it is not so surprising that they aren't all that focused on customer support. More like annoyed.

On the plus side, the agent I talked to was incredibly helpful from a knowledge standpoint, she just literally had no way of fixing the problem, since it is a larger, systematic issue with their routers. She did indicate that firmware updates tend to go live at the beginning and middle of the month, so maybe we should all have "firmware update parties" in anticipation of the fix that may never come.

Anyway, I just wanted to post to let everyone know that I was told by a Vertizon representative that they are aware of the issue and are trying to fix it... here's hoping that fix happens in the next few months or sooner, rather than in the next decade or so.

0 Likes