Quantum Gateway G1100: DNS aliases?
BradenMcDaniel
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there any way to set up DNS aliases (or roughly equivalent) in the G1100's DNS server?

I was able to fake it with the MI424WR by adding a hostname with the same IP address as an existing one; but the G1100 won't let me do that.

Any alternative suggestions other than punting on the G1100's DNS server and setting up my own? I've done that before; and I can do it again. But, as my needs are pretty modest, it was convenient to use the one in the MI424WR.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Quantum Gateway G1100: DNS aliases?
BradenMcDaniel
Enthusiast - Level 3

I plugged my Actiontec router back in after hitting this. A few weeks ago, swapped the G1100 back in; and this problem appears to have been fixed.

(Unfortunately, I still ended up disabling the DHCP server on the G1100 and setting up dnsmasq on a Linux box in light of this problem.)

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BradenMcDaniel wrote:

Is there any way to set up DNS aliases (or roughly equivalent) in the G1100's DNS server?

I was able to fake it with the MI424WR by adding a hostname with the same IP address as an existing one; but the G1100 won't let me do that.

Any alternative suggestions other than punting on the G1100's DNS server and setting up my own? I've done that before; and I can do it again. But, as my needs are pretty modest, it was convenient to use the one in the MI424WR.

What do you mean by DNS aliases?

You want to change the DNS servers the router use? Enter the server ip addresses on the Network (home/Office) properties page

You want to add some special DNS entries? Add them as new DNS entries via Advanced, DNS server, Add DNS entry.

That's how it was done on the Rev I actiontec and all other routers I've ever used support doing it basically the same way.

0 Likes
BradenMcDaniel
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

What do you mean by DNS aliases?

You want to change the DNS servers the router use? Enter the server ip addresses on the Network (home/Office) properties page

You want to add some special DNS entries? Add them as new DNS entries via Advanced, DNS server, Add DNS entry.

That's how it was done on the Rev I actiontec and all other routers I've ever used support doing it basically the same way.

Sorry I was unclear; by "alias" I meant a CNAME record. The MI424WR wouldn't let me make one of those exactly; what it would let me do is add a second host name with the IP address of an existing one. That did the job. The G1100 won't allow that.

Big picture: I have a host named "foo.example.com" that I want to be able to refer as "mail.example.com", as well.

0 Likes
jtashiro

+1 to allow multiple hosts names to point to same IP address.  This is a common as the Internet is.

The new Quantum Gateway router DNS server does NOT allow multiple names/aliases for a single IP address.  Why such a limitation is imposed, when earlier models of the router support this feature, is beyond me.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@jtashiro wrote:

...  Why such a limitation is imposed, when earlier models of the router support this feature, is beyond me.

Technically, there was no "earlier" model of the Quantum Gateway -- it is an entirely new router built by a different company.  The configuration interface may look similar, but the router is not.

That said, it's a pain when a company "upgrades" something and removes useful functionality from the prior hardware.

0 Likes
BradenMcDaniel
Enthusiast - Level 3

I plugged my Actiontec router back in after hitting this. A few weeks ago, swapped the G1100 back in; and this problem appears to have been fixed.

(Unfortunately, I still ended up disabling the DHCP server on the G1100 and setting up dnsmasq on a Linux box in light of this problem.)