Re: Quantum Gateway G1100 router - can't get ethernet ports to work?!
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

I cant do that now, as it would disconnect all the other users of my home network. I'll try tomorrow.

Factory resetting the router was tried in the 45 minute tech support call with Verizon 2 weeks ago (and the first router), though, I doubt it will change anything here.

Leaving just one device plugged into the router may - if you think somehow other devices are causing interference? which makes no sense to me for wired connections, only for radio interference on wireless ones - but I've already tried all four ports.  Besides which, I need all four to work, and I don't feel like this is the issue.

This is the second router to exhibit this behavior, it must be some kind of factory setting that is bad.

The router IS supposed to support both wireless networks (2.4 and 5.0 GHz) plus the four port switch at the same time, right?

0 Likes
Re: Quantum Gateway G1100 router - can't get [powerline] ethernet ports to work reliably?
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I got some things to work but not all things...

Apparently the G1100 doesn't like Powerline ethernet extension/adapters.  I use two of them.  They worked just fine with the Actiontec router and I'd hidden the power plugs behind so much stuff I'd forgotten they weren't just regular ethernet lines, until I realized I hadn't done any cable drops to run ethernet from my bedroom up to my attic and to my basement.

A Netgear XAVB101 to the attic
Amped Wireless Powerline Nano AV500 to the basement

I unplugged both of them and my NAS unit and the computer next to the router could now see each other and get online.

I added one of the Powerline ethernet lines back in - the one to my home office in the attic - and that worked,. too.

I tried adding the second Powerline ethernet line - the one that runs to my Roku in the basement that's out of good wireless range - and now my next-to-router computer couldn't ping the router or see the NAS unit again.

However, removing the basment Powerline has not restored connectivity to my attic one.

Changing my subject line now to reflect the Powerline nature of the problem, but it is rather important to me to have these powerline connections working as I don't plan to be trying to figure out how to drill and run cables around my old house any time soon.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum Gateway G1100 router - can't get [powerline] ethernet ports to work reliably?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are your power line addapters on the same bus in the breaker odd?  I.E. are they all on either odd or even breakers

0 Likes
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3
I am not sure how to determine if they're odd or even breakers in the fuse box, but they are on different fuses (bedroom from attic from basement). However, these powerline adapters have worked silently for 6 years through several changes of router, including the Actiontec mi424wr that I can still swap in and hook everything up to work. But I like the faster wifi and guest network capability.

Is there some kind of firewalling for Powerline type devices (which are kind of like a network bridge, I suppose) that's new to the G1100 that wasn't on the MI424WR?

In which case, how'd I get my attic home office to connect up for a few hours this morning? (Haven't gotten it to work again yet even after disconnecting the basement bound Powerline)
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If you have coax near the roku you can get a fios network extender if you can not get the powerline to work correctly.

0 Likes
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do have a FiOS STB near the Roku in the basement, so yeah, a coax extender would work for that - where do I get one?  The Verizon network store didn't seem to have any listed the last time I checked.  Though I could turn to Amazon.

The real problem is getting my attic home network up and running, it's where I do most of my "real" work on a computer.

And I'm also kind of annoyed that the G1100 is proving not to be a drop in replacement router the way my last, well, forever set of routers have been since 2002 or so.  With each upgrade of WiFi functionality and security I've had to struggle a bit getting my devices to connect both to the internet and my home network, this is the first time I've run into problems with the wired connections.

In this case, Powerline extensions may not qualify as vanilla wired connections for valid reasons, it's never been an issue before.  I'm hoping it's a config thing somewhere but it'd have been nice to have that warning somewhere, Powerline is fairly common these days, isn't it?

0 Likes
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I got everything to work... I had to reset and reconfigure all my Powerline adapters (in the Netgear case, the "factory reset" button on it didn't work, I had to find and download their configuration tool in order to reset the security on the two Netgear units before they'd talk to each other again on my home network).  Something about the initial setup of the Powerline units must register with the router, and my last router upgrade must have been from one Actiontec router to another that was similar enough that they continued to work.

This was a pain in the butt because I'd long since blocked up the Powerline units with furniture like AV racks loaded with stuff, but it had to be done, and it was done, and lo!, I saw that it was good.

I still don't know why the Powerline units not talking on the network would end up causing all my other wired devices (like the NAS) to be invisble on the network as well, or why the Netgear pair to my attic home office worked sometimes for a while, but there you have it.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could there be a possibility of a loop being caused by the power line adapters, or by a device or cable plugged into the adapters? I do not know if the G1100 supports STP at a minimum, but the ActionTec does. The router could be turning off the ports if it suspects a loop.

Then again, it could just be a weird compatibility issue as you've found.

0 Likes
yapishkahilt
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know this is an old thread, but I just had a similar issue and figured I’d post my solution in case anyone else encountered it. My Ethernet showed up as connected, and it showed an external IP address, but my wired connections weren’t working, only the wifi worked. What I found was that the ethernet cord from the ONT to my router was configured as 568B, while all of my ethernet cords coming from the router to my devices were wired as 568A. (A quick Google search will show the difference.) I bought an ethernet cord crimping tool and some “heads” (don’t know the term for the plastic piece at the end of the ethernet cord that plugs into the jack). I then stripped the wire from the ONT to the router at both ends and rearranged the 8 little wires in the 568A order, then punched them down with new heads. I reconnected at both ends and had no issues after that.

It was a supreme hassle. I only resorted to doing it after calling Fios customer service on three separate occasions and waiting on hold for two hours each time before giving up on actually reaching anyone from Verizon.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes