Quantum Gateway - How to setup static IP for internal PCs using MAC address
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

I would like to assign static IP addresses to computers within my home that are connected to the FIOS router.  I would like to do it by using their MAC address so that each time they connect they are given that IP.  I do not need this static IP to be seen outside of my network.  This is only for internal purposes.  So I am talking about assigning internal IPs - e.g. 192.168.1.150 is given to a specific laptop each time it is connected to the internal network.

I do not see an option in the router menus, or in the manual, to add a static IP for an internal computer using MAC address?  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Quantum Gateway - How to setup static IP for internal PCs using MAC address
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go to the “Advanced” tab. Then under Routing click “IP Address Distribution”. Click the red box that says “Connection List”. Go to the bottom of that page and you will see another red box that says “Add static connection +”

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go to the “Advanced” tab. Then under Routing click “IP Address Distribution”. Click the red box that says “Connection List”. Go to the bottom of that page and you will see another red box that says “Add static connection +”

SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you!  I especially like the fact that you can click on an existing lease and convert it to static.  Much easier than entering the MAC address info.

TonyD500
Enthusiast - Level 1

So far so good.   Thanks.

GGW01450
Enthusiast - Level 1

This was so helpful.  My only suggestion is to add more steps, as follows:

Username:
Passcode:

Advanced > Yes > IP Address Distribution >

Click the red box that says “Connection List”.

Go to the bottom of that page and you will see another red box that says “Add static connection +”

Or you can click on an existing lease and convert it to static, which is much easier than entering the MAC address info.

Davidmp
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is more to this if you want to assign specific Static IP Addresses.

This process is different than the usual way to do this.

You would traditionally change your device to Static IP \ Use the Following IP Address and enter the information manually. This will not work, and you have to leave your device in DHCP mode.

If you are ok with the currently assigned IP Address for your device on the router, you can select "Edit" for the device in the DHCP Lease section and select "Static Lease Type."  How do you do this:

First, you have to login into your Router:

1: Open a web browser and enter the address: 192.168.1.1

2: Click on Proceed>

3: You will have to enter the Password to access your router. This password will be on a sticker on the router.  There are several there you want to use, the one under Manage Router Settings. Enter it and select OK>

4: You will now be in the main area of the Router.

To change existing device and assigned IP Address to a Static Address: 

1: Click on Advanced

2:  Select Yes>

2: Under Routing, select IPv4 Address Distribution

3: Select "DHCP Leases >

4: All of the devices that have connected to your network will be shown. Note you must have connected with your device previously for it to be present.

5: Find device:  This one might be tricky if you did not change the Host Name.  Fortunately, the MAC Address will always be unique for every device, and you can find the MAC address on the device. This process is unique for each device, but you can Google how to find it. 

6: Select "Edit" under action for the device. 

7: If you want to keep the same IP Address, select "Static Lease Type"  and Apply.

8: Your device will now always have the same IP Address

If you want to assign a specific IP Address. 

You will have to edit the DHCP Settings for Network (Home/Office):

1: Click on Advanced

2: IPv4 Address Distribution

3: Under Action:  Edit

4: You will see Start IPv4 Address and End IPv4 Address.  This is the current setup for IP Addresses that DHCP will pull from automatically.  You will see Start IPv4 Address:  192.168.1.2 and End IPv4 Address 192.168.1.254.  These are all the available IP Addresses the Router can use.  You can block off a portion of these addresses to be used for specific Static IP Addresses.

5:  As an example, if you change the Start IPv4 Address to 192.168.1.20, the following addresses 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.19 will be removed from the DHCP pool, and you can assign these at Static Addresses.

6: I would recommend changing the starting address—the End IPv4 Address of 192.168.1.254 is the actual last available address for this subnet. 

7: Now that you have the DHCP Pool setup, you will go back to the DHCP Lease listing. Once you hit Apply, you will return to the IPv4 Address Distribution page. 

8: Select "DHCP Leases >." 

9: To manually enter an IP Address from the Static range you set up previously in the DHCP Pool, you will have to remove the existing device.

10: Select "Edit" under action for the device.  This will open the DHCP Connection Settings page for the device. (Note: Write down or take a Screen Capture to record the MAC Address. It will be needed)

11: Select "Static Lease Type" and Apply >

12: Once you do this, you will see a New Option under Action for the Device.  There will now be "Remove."

13: To add a Static IP Address for this device, you have to REMOVE it.  Select Remove.

14: Now scroll to the bottom of the screen and Select "Add static connection +." 

15: You will now have a blank DHCP Connection Settings screen.  Here you will enter the Host Name; call it something that makes sense for you.  Enter the IP Address you have set up from the previous Static Pool. In the example provided, I have 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.19 to select from.  Then enter the MAC Address. This is the MAC Address I mentioned to record in Step 10: Remember this is a unique identifier for the device and must be entered correctly or not work. 

16: Select "Apply>"

17: You will be returned to the DHCP Leases listing and will see the Device is now listed with a Lease Type as Static.  Your device will always use the assigned IP Address. 

18: You might have to refresh or restart your device for the new IP Address to take. 

Thanks for the information previously provided it was helpful in determining why I was not able to get this to work. I have expanded on that information to include some additional steps I wanted for using specific Static IP Addresses on my network.  

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!