Re: Quantum Gateway Router Question
GuardianHope
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Smith6612 wrote:

Good finds none the less, especially on the DHCP part. I suspect the G1100 is using dnsmasq, but I'd need to get my hands on one to confirm. I'd be curious if certain DHCP options requested by certain devices cause the router to misbehave. Worth looking into if you're familiar with Wireshark and MITMing.

In my personal experience, I've always had problems with the Verizon DNS servers being less than ideal at least in my region. I'd regularly get slow query responses, especially at night. Using external DNS would always solve this, even with EDNS queries. I've avoided a few "Internet outages" thanks to this. OpenDNS sits around 16ms away, whereas Verizon's own DNS Servers for my region sit 22ms and 35ms away for primary and secondary. Even if Verizon's were faster, due to less load on them or lower latency, at night OpenDNS's consistent query performance makes up for the fact..

I have a number of WRT54G routers which are still in service today, although at home I use the RT-AC87U (Previously used an MI424WR Rev. D with DD-WRT, rock solid until I maxed the RAM out). Fabulous devices, although they're starting to show their age with faster connections. Never had a problem with a single one of them, unless it was related to a power supply. Wireless was top notch.

According to the Wireshark captures I am under the belief of that as well. Although it doesn't explicitly state it in the FiOS logs, the responses are more in line with DNSMasq-dhcp than other types of DHCP servers. Unlike my ASUS routers however, there is no way to control dnsmasq.conf, hosts, and dnsmasqhosts (not sure if this file actually exists on the router) which are likely the main culprits of the Quantum Gateway's problems.

When I use my ASUS router which I have to bridge since I still have MoCA (MoCA 2.0), I am able to control these files and turn off the settings in dnsmasq-dhcpd such as using hosts as the cache file (this is what caused a lot of problems on my ASUS router when it was in play with the devices the Quantum Gateway had trouble with).

The fact that dnsmasq-dhcpd likes to "cache" everything becomes problematic - even when setting static IPs. I can't set a static IP on my FiOS Network Extender because the original IP is still in the router's cache and that cache seems to hold through reboots and complete unpluggings.

One statement is captured by Wireshark everytime a problem device connects: "DHCPDECLINE" where the client actively declines the IP because the DHCP server has a cache of it's former IP and doesn't seem to clear it. Unfortunately, the Quantum Gateway's DHCP server doesn't seem capable of assigning the previously cached addresses which causes connectivity issues.

On the sidebar about OpenDNS: I've never really had internet outages except I think during "Snowmageddon" (Google it, there's a Wikipedia article on the event) or during equipment failures. OpenDNS is actually always been really slow for me while Verizon's non-DNS hijacking servers have always been really quick and responsive. As I said, NTT and my own DNS servers are the only two that are faster but NTT's aren't public (I don't think) and my own DNS servers are part of an Enterprise I own. 

On the WRT54G Sidebar: Yes, those were good devices. They ran for virtually a decade before some started sequentially burning themselves out. My network is always under very heavy usage with the number of people coming and going that I have started upgrading things to the highest end or into the "enterprise" category but the Quantum Gateway will always be the weakest link. It would be great if Verizon, like ASUS, embraced "open firmware" options like DD-WRT but I think the MoCA drivers are proprietary closed-source code unfortunately and Verizon doesn't seem to know how to write router firmware for the life of them.

Dear Verizon: Allow us to change the "admin" username from "admin" to something other than "my router's username is admin so feel free and let loose on this completely vulnerable device. 

Come on people, the thing literally autofills in the username. This is as bad as when the "default WiFi password" on the Actiontecs could be determined by just the SSIDs.

Ghouul
Enthusiast - Level 1

My solution was simple. Ditched the Quantum router today, takes $10 off my bill a month, and I grabbed a $30 M M Box off of Amazon. Problems solved.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Ghouul wrote:

My solution was simple. Ditched the Quantum router today, takes $10 off my bill a month, and I grabbed a $30 M M Box off of Amazon. Problems solved.

Works great if you are internet only or tv without FiOS stb.

Having FiOS stb complicates config if you try to use your own.

Ghouul
Enthusiast - Level 1

@CRobGauth wrote:

@Ghouul wrote:

Works great if you are internet only or tv without FiOS stb.

Having FiOS stb complicates config if you try to use your own.

True enough, all other services are obsolete. Internet is all we use. I tried various versions of the aforementioned fixes and troubleshooting, as I am still studying Networking myself. But I ended up finding this most cost effective. Netflix, Digital Antenna, Apple TV, Roku's, and cell phones.  All running excellent since I dropped the Quantum box, now trying to adjust settings to get it back to 100+, but I'll stick with stable and working flawlessly at 68+, I'm not running anything intense at the moment anyhow. Thanks for the info on this post, very helpful.

0 Likes
HarveyD1

Thank you!

I've been having the same problems for last two weeks since we were "upgraded" to G1100. I use tivo for tv so need for verizon router, I'm going out today to get my own router for the Gateway.

NB the system with the most drops is an HP laptop running windows 10 (home), but we have experienced drops on wired connections too.

0 Likes
NoeleEiffe
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had this problem too and after a very long week of debugging, this thread helped me hunt it down. Had Quantum router replaced, ONT replaced, and some wiring re-done at my house. (Have to say that the Verizon tech was pretty awesome, and came back 6 times to help.)

Anyway, after all that, I was still getting 4-10 reboots a day, and it was driving everyone pretty nuts. What worked was going into the DCHP assignment section, and assigning every device that is sort of permanent on my network a static IP. That included a Brother wifi enabled printer, a switch that routes cat5 to the entertainment devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc.), and whatever an Arris device at .100 is on my network. I run my Wireless off a 2nd router (and needlessly replaced an Airport Extreme with a Netgear device first) so that's essentially another switch, but in a more central location in the house to get better coverage. So wireless is now disabled on the Quantum, a separate 5ghz SSID assigned (hadn't been the case before), etc. 

But the Static IPs fixed it. First I did the printer and a windows 10 machine, based on thread reports, and not the switch. That got me 24 hours, but then the leases expired and we started over again with reboots. Then I went back more aggressive ly and locked down all but laptops, phones, tablet. At this time, I'm not running with reboot for 63 hours and am optimistic.

Like so many others, I blame the firmware in the Quantum, specifically the DHCP leasing. I wasted an insane amount of time trying to fix this. But if you're still struggling, try this. You have to hunt through Advanced settings, get the list of DHCP devices, hit the edit button and check a box to set it static. I had to hunt for it every time. But it worked here, fwiw. 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NoeleEiffe wrote:

I have had this problem too and after a very long week of debugging, this thread helped me hunt it down. Had Quantum router replaced, ONT replaced, and some wiring re-done at my house. (Have to say that the Verizon tech was pretty awesome, and came back 6 times to help.)

Anyway, after all that, I was still getting 4-10 reboots a day, and it was driving everyone pretty nuts. What worked was going into the DCHP assignment section, and assigning every device that is sort of permanent on my network a static IP. That included a Brother wifi enabled printer, a switch that routes cat5 to the entertainment devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc.), and whatever an Arris device at .100 is on my network. I run my Wireless off a 2nd router (and needlessly replaced an Airport Extreme with a Netgear device first) so that's essentially another switch, but in a more central location in the house to get better coverage. So wireless is now disabled on the Quantum, a separate 5ghz SSID assigned (hadn't been the case before), etc. 

But the Static IPs fixed it. First I did the printer and a windows 10 machine, based on thread reports, and not the switch. That got me 24 hours, but then the leases expired and we started over again with reboots. Then I went back more aggressive ly and locked down all but laptops, phones, tablet. At this time, I'm not running with reboot for 63 hours and am optimistic.

Like so many others, I blame the firmware in the Quantum, specifically the DHCP leasing. I wasted an insane amount of time trying to fix this. But if you're still struggling, try this. You have to hunt through Advanced settings, get the list of DHCP devices, hit the edit button and check a box to set it static. I had to hunt for it every time. But it worked here, fwiw. 

@NoeleEiffe wrote:

I have G1100 rotuer and have not had any issues.

What version software are you running on your router?

0 Likes
SteveoD1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi NoeleEiffe,

Thanks for this information!

On your Quantum modem, can you provide more details on how you switched your devices from a DHCP lease to a static IP? I do not see that option under Advanced Settings. If you could provide the step by step menus you chose that would be great!

My 75/75 Triple Play Quantum problem is 2-fold - upload speed barely gets to 4mpbs and connections continually get dropped. The modem turns red during that part. Tech coming out tommorow, but I don't have a good feeling about this. They are coming to check on the ONT..

MmmPep
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm just commenting to see if Noelle provides Steve with the step by step!!! Having the same issue so if his works then I was going to try it! 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes