Quantum Gateway WIFI settings are being remotely reset - Verizon's doing?
VFIOS-user-123

Two days in a row, I wake up to find that the WIFI settings (network names and passwords) have been reset, requiring me to go in and re-establish the settings.  High security settings and complex passwords. Is verzion pushing out bios updates or the like? Otherwise, is the backup battery faulty and how would I check that? - Thanks 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Quantum Gateway WIFI settings are being remotely reset - Verizon's doing?
jonjones1
Legend

Ah ha. You have a Frontier branded router. Or it was once a Verizon one and not no longer.

they are not compatible to Verizon branded Fios Quantum Gateway Router G1100

i would just get another Router if not the real Quantum Gateway then a Netgear or Asus etc. which will or should fix your issue.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
VFIOS-user-123

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. Verizon pushed out a new firmware just about last week for the Quantum gateways (in my case ActionTec). I spent this morning looking for a place to change WIFI passwords.  The only way I could find to do that was to turn off the security for the  WIFI channels, hit apply, then go back in and reset the security setting you want then it will give you the ability to set up a new password.

Also, I am running into an instance or two a day where the router is resetting itself along with the WIFI settings.  Verizon replaces the outsdie box, but it is still happening.

Long story short, there is a new firmware out there and that can be causing headaches to some users. As such, each issue needs to be looked at on a case by case basis.  YMMV.  GL.

0 Likes
VFIOS-user-123

To reply to my own post ... I used the online support tools, it indicated a line error that required a service call.  The technician replaced the outside box (he wasn't sure that was the issue, but took a shot).  No success, got two more random reboots last night which dropped the whole family off the network then came back.  Since this is out of the blue, and coincides with the new firmware that was pusched out, I am laying blame there for now.

0 Likes
Firmware 2.00.01.08 stinks! Can we roll back and other questions
VFIOS-user-123

As noted in another thread, I have started getting random router reboots (150/150 service, Cat 5 from ONT, Actiontec (Quantum) router, one MOCA range extender from Verizon). Digging into the router settings to reset my WIFI settings it is obvious that Verzion has pushed out a new Firmware (as of this morning 2.00.01.08). Verzion replaced the outside box which has not solved the problem. Correlation is not causation, but things line up as the new firmware being the prime suspect.

Questions

Can we get the old firmware and reflash backwards?

Looking at the log files, I am seeing errors (e.g. err<###>) being logged, is there a crib sheet that defines the errors?

What time zone are the system logs referenced to? I checked the system time and it is correct (say May 17, 8:00 am), but the log files are mysterious .. May 17 12:00 ??? what? hours? PM? ref. Zulu time?  I'd like to go back and see what was logged at the time of reboots, but without knowing the reference time it is at best a guess).

Who can we submit these logs to for some meaningful analysis?  Is there a technical group that we can work with?

Right now my hypthesis is that Verzion pushed out a buggy firmware that causes intermittent problems.  Without some tools to work this porblem it has the potential to get real frustrating real fast. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Unfortunately Verizon pushed out that router update to the FiOS Quantum Gateway Router (Greenwave) quite awhile back. It is time tested as working.

now the action tech router depending on how old it is may simply be bad. It does happen. I note in another of your posts you are using cat5 in this case Verizon uses cat5e and now 6. It could be a bad ethernet cabling. It could also be a bad twisted pair when the ethernet was connected. Who put the cat5 ethernet in? You? Or the Verizon installer?

on high end routers (the actiontec and the Quantum routers are by no means high end)

you can save the previous firmware update just in case you have to roll it back.

my advice to you is first try a different ethernet cabling of 5e or 6 (7 is pure hype and not approved yet) 

i would also recommend calling verizon 1-800-VERIZON and getting a better router.

i will hope the issues then go away.

0 Likes
VFIOS-user-123

>depending on how old it is may simply be bad. It does happen. 

Possibly.  But considering that the issues started with the new firmware, I think the firmware is more likely than a coincidental degradation of the router (2 yrs old)

>Verizon uses cat5e and now 6. It could be a bad Ethernet cabling.

The Ethernet was run by Verizon using cat 6. Considering the headroom of even cat 5, I did not think the exact spec to be particularly relevant.  However, I should correct that is indeed cat 6.

>It could also be a bad twisted pair when the Ethernet was connected. 

As indicated, this is a new issue that showed up with the new firmware. The system has been quite solid up to now.

>you can save the previous firmware update just in case you have to roll it back.

Just using the equipment Verizon provides. They pushed out an update; I was not given the opportunity to make a system image prior to the update. I agree that should be part of whatever system that they are using.  However, I have the feeling that the last thing they want is a fragmented network, so encouraging (or even making available the tools) for people to choose which version of the firmware that they want to use is probably not optimal in their eyes.

>my advice to you is first try a different Ethernet cabling of 5e or 6 

Thank you for the suggestion.  However, that is an onerous task.  I'm going to try to exhaust other avenues before banging my head against that wall.

>calling Verizon 1-800-VERIZON and getting a better router

This is their better router (as far as I know). As I said, this system has been solid for years and for months since the 150/150 upgrade. This issue showed up with the new firmware and I am seeing errors being thrown in the system logs. A completely new router would of course be a solution (if it is indeed firmware or a freak coincidence). But I have the feeling I am going to pay for a new router unless I can prove beyond a doubt that Verizon caused the issues.  Fat chance on that, I just want the random reboots to stop.

Thanks for taking the time to respond with your thoughts.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Verizon’s routers are not high end you can save the previous firmware update. 

The actiontec was replaced by the fios FiOS Quantum router which is also junk compared to Netgear and Archers or Asus which allow you to save the firmware prior to any update. You are better off getting one of them other than the Verizon branded routers. 

Hopefully this gets fixed. But I would look at other devices. 

0 Likes
VFIOS-user-123

Again, thanks for your thoughts JonJ.  I do appreciate it.  A quick correction to my earlier posts, the router is indeed the Greenwave Quantum router, not the older Actiontec unit. Sorry for any confusion.

Follow up:  Problem still happening. Just got a call from the family, no wifi connections.  Go in via the FIOS app and sure enough, everything reset to out-of-box defaults. I reset and reboot through the FIOS app and they have WIFI back. I am amending my original observations to now include:

--When I just logged in now, the landing page notified me of a network issue that walked me through, surprise, rebooting the router.  What's that all about? I just did that 5 minutes previous.

--My wife's iPad pro wouldn't connect despite using the "Forget this Network" trick. I go into settings and saw that it was blocked.  I unblocked it and now it works fine.  Nobody but nobody went in and selectively blocked that device.

--Verizon has rolled out new tools in the iOS app.  I see it getting bug fix updates.  My hunch is that the new firmware (see elsewhere in support forum for V acknowledging issues with the new firmware) AND the new functions being added to the iOS app are causing these issues.

All told, the new firmware and the user facing network ecosystem is a mess as of 5-23-2018.  I've given up trying to troubleshoot this thing.  Verzion is just going to have to sort it out in updates. Maybe by 2.1 we can get back to where we were two weeks ago.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Ah ha. You have a Frontier branded router. Or it was once a Verizon one and not no longer.

they are not compatible to Verizon branded Fios Quantum Gateway Router G1100

i would just get another Router if not the real Quantum Gateway then a Netgear or Asus etc. which will or should fix your issue.

Good Luck

0 Likes