Quantum Gateway router problems with dropping Xbox and wireless
Pat_Oneil
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had FIOS service since it's been available in my area which has been about 8 years or so.  Recently I "upgraded" to the new Quantum Gateway router and I have been seeing continuous problems with wireless connections dropping and more frustrating is my connections via my XBOX 360 drops me out of online games constantly.  

Specifically with the XBOX games, I play a lot of NHL 14 with my friends in other cities and locally.  We join a party together and about every hour or so I'll get dropped from the game.  I will stay connected to XBOX Live and I will even stay connected to the party that we're in but I lose connection to the other players in the game.  This never happened with my old routers even at slower speeds.

I am well aware of DMZ settings and port forwarding settings, I have all of that setup just fine as it has been for years.  I also have my XBOX on a wired connection.  When I have it wirelessly connected, the lag is unbearable.  I ran the network diagnostics last night and my download / upload speeds are constantly in the 20s / low 30s.  I would expect this to be much higher considering I have the 150/150 plan.

I did the self install when I got my new Quatum router and I'm wondering if something else should have been upgraded in my house when this change was made.  I haven't had Verizon out to my house in quite a few years so I don't know if I need the wiring into my house upgraded or not.

One setup question I had was; Regarding the input to my router, it looks like the instructions say I can use the Cat 5 OR the cable input.  When I use just the CAT 5 I seem to lose access to online services for my TV so I have them both connected.

I feel a bit silly complaining about this at my age, but it's super frustrating to be dropped constantly like this when I'm trying to enjoy some downtime with my brother and friends.  I'm to the point where I either want my old router / cable boxes back or I'm going to give Comcast a call.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Quantum Gateway router problems with dropping Xbox and wireless
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you still have your old router? If so, you can connect it back up to ease the pain for the short term, until we can help figure out what is going on with the newer G1100 router.

With the Xbox, are you connecting up to the 2.4Ghz band, or the 5Ghz band for the wireless?

With your Xbox wired up to the router, did you experience these same drops?

As for disconnecting the Coax, the coax will be required to be connected since you have FiOS TV. The Set top boxes, even the old ones, rely on a MoCA connection to the router for Guide, VOD, and Caller ID Features amongst others. Removing the only path the Set Top Boxes have to the router will take them out. If you have Coax connected to the router, and the Ethernet connection from your ONT Connected up to the router's WAN port, that's the proper setup. The router will not use Coax for the Internet connection unless Verizon forgot to change your ONT from MoCa.

0 Likes
Pat_Oneil
Enthusiast - Level 1

My XBox connection was always only wired.  A tech came out and replaced my router as they discovered I had no WAN connection.  He put a filter on as well.

For my wireless, I made sure to rename my 5G network and have our streaming devices connect directly to that.

So far I have not had any issues.   Fingers crossed.

bmad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:

As for disconnecting the Coax, the coax will be required to be connected since you have FiOS TV. The Set top boxes, even the old ones, rely on a MoCA connection to the router for Guide, VOD, and Caller ID Features amongst others. Removing the only path the Set Top Boxes have to the router will take them out. If you have Coax connected to the router, and the Ethernet connection from your ONT Connected up to the router's WAN port, that's the proper setup. The router will not use Coax for the Internet connection unless Verizon forgot to change your ONT from MoCa.

My new Quantum FIOS-G1100 dropping wireless connection intermittingly.Spent much time with tech support, to no avail.  Noticed this line in your post about connecting ethernet wire to WAN port, in ADDITION to the coax connection,  which surprised me. My Actiontec router did not have both an ethernet to the WAN and a coax connection, never dropped connections. Are you saying you need both a coax and a ethernet hardwire connection to WAN port on the  Quantum router from the ONT?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.

For speeds aboive 75M, Internet service is delviered via Etherent from ONT.

But you would need coax connected to roouter if you have TV service so that router can support VOD and guide info.