Quantum Gateway router to Google Wifi
mckens16
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm going to be canceling my TV and phone service, but keeping the Fios internet service.  However, i want to use google wifi instead of the Quantum router.  I understand that I will have to release the DHCP prior to unplugging the Quantum router.  Is there anything else that I need to do?  Am I missing a step?  I'm not sure if I will need to contact Verizon and ask them to switch from coax to ethernet.  Can someone please explain the process so I don't make any mistakes?

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: Quantum Gateway router to Google Wifi
jonjones1
Legend

@mckens16 wrote:

I'm going to be canceling my TV and phone service, but keeping the Fios internet service.  However, i want to use google wifi instead of the Quantum router.  I understand that I will have to release the DHCP prior to unplugging the Quantum router.  Is there anything else that I need to do?  Am I missing a step?  I'm not sure if I will need to contact Verizon and ask them to switch from coax to ethernet.  Can someone please explain the process so I don't make any mistakes?

Thank you

I am going to assume that your google wifi is a router? If you are going to go internet only with fios you will need to be switched to Ethernet there are no coaxial in newer routers even if they did make them that way.

now if you are going to not use fios router you will need to release the dns then immediately unplug the router. You then must plug in your own supplied router and attached the Ethernet cable into the wan port on your new owner supplied router.

however you must be provisioned to Ethernet first in order to do so.

0 Likes