Quantum Gateway support
abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased this last year from Verizon for the guest network capability but I know that it's been out a few years now. I assume updates, if any, are done behind the scenes so I wouldn't know about them and I am wondering if Verizon is still providing updates for this device. And if so, for how much longer would such support be available and are we given any notice if/when support stops?

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Quantum Gateway support
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To put things into perspective, the MI424WR Rev. I was supported by Verizon up until several months ago. Those routers are about 10 years old at this point. I believe the G1100 has been out for approximately 5 years now. Chances are good, even if there aren't any more feature updates coming to the router, it will still be getting firmware updates as needed for the time being.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

There won't be any functional updates for the G1100 anymore. Only security patches on the Firewall will be made in the future.

When the G1100 is finally EOL/EOS (not any time soon), security patches will no longer be made, and you will be using the unit at your own risk.

abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

How will I find out when security patches will no longer be made?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Generally, you cannot.

I would guess it would be next year or the year after.

abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

There's no Verizon website that lists which items are still supported and which aren't? 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you try and order new service, the site lists which routers are supported.  I'm not aware of any other list.

Verizon currently supports two routers, the G1100 and G3100.

As Cang_household noted, the G1100 is will go out of support long before the G3100.  We've no idea when that will occur.  It could be soon, or it could be several years.  When it does happen, Verizon is likely to notify G1100 users through their customer channels.  It could be a bill notification or even a message through their app or web site.  That's assuming they behave similarly to when they stopped supported the Actiontec.

Short story, the G1100 is fully supported for security updates.  It will be for some reasonable amount of time into the future.  Verizon is very likely to let us know when they end support for it.  I wouldn't worry about it today.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To put things into perspective, the MI424WR Rev. I was supported by Verizon up until several months ago. Those routers are about 10 years old at this point. I believe the G1100 has been out for approximately 5 years now. Chances are good, even if there aren't any more feature updates coming to the router, it will still be getting firmware updates as needed for the time being.