Quantum Router Config update
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Got this in email today:

My VerizonSupport

Thank you for being a Fios Quantum Gateway customer. Great news! We are making a software update to your Fios Quantum Gateway that will improve your Fios Internet experience.

Your Fios Quantum Gateway router is a dual band router that is capable of transmitting two signals 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. By default, both signals are enabled and share the same Wi-Fi network name and password.

If you've already customized your home Wi-Fi, you may ignore this communication. However, if you're still using the default settings, we will be making an automatic update between January 26 and January 29, 2016 that will allow you to manually choose between the two signals for each device you connect to your Wi-Fi.

So what does that actually mean?

Right now

• When you connect a new device to your Wi-Fi, you only have one Wi-Fi network name.

• If the device is dual band compatible, it will automatically choose the best signal based on how close it is to the Fios Quantum Gateway.

• If the device is not dual band compatible, it will automatically connect to the 2.4 GHz signal.

After the update

• You will see two Wi-Fi names that look alike the only difference is that your 5 GHz signal has "-5G" at the end of it.

• You will have the freedom to manually choose your signal based on your needs.

Don't see the 5G Wi-Fi name?

It may be because your device is not 5G compatible. Refer to your device manual for compatibility.

For more information, visit verizon.com/routersupport.

FacebookTwitterYoutubeGoogle Plus

My Verizon  Support  Forgot my password