Quantum Router G1100 - Auto negotiate broken. Degraded speed.
Alex8701
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is more of a caution to other users.  The G1100 Quantum Router has some very questionable behaviors when it comes to auto negotiating the speed of the ethernet LAN and WAN ports.  I've been troubleshooting a sudden drop to 8.5Mbps up and down stream.  Turns out the G1100 auto negotiated 10 half duplex on the ethernet connection between the WAN and the ONT.  So I stuck a network switch between the two so the G1100 didn't have to auto negotiate directly with the ONT and I could see which of the two was having problems.  I learnt several things about the G1100.

1. If you disable the Coax Link on the "Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) Properties" page and reboot the router, the Ethernet WAN connection is dropped to 10 half duplex for no reason. Enable the Coax Link, reboot and then it magically renegotiates to 100 duplex.  (This assumes you connect to the ONT via Ethernet and not MOCA/coax.)
  2. The drop down selections on the Ethernet Port Configuration page are mostly not respected by the router.
  3. The router regularly degrades the LAN Ethernet ports to low auto negotiated speeds despite being connected via good and very short cables to gigabit devices.
  4. The speeds shown on the Ethernet Port Configuration page are not necessarily the transmission speeds being used. You can confirm this by inserting a network switch that reports the connection speed via indicator lights.

I really hope this gets fixed in future firmware updates.

UI Version: v1.0.162
Firmware Version 1.2.0.36.108.1
Model Name: FiOS-G1100
Hardware Version: 1.03