Quantum Router Is No Better Than My Old Actiontec
rgfullerton

Well the new "QUNTUM ROUTER", that paid $150.00 for is absolutely no better than my old ACTIONTEC.  Range is no better and they claim up to 365 feet .......... JOKE!

Can't even maintain a connection at 2.4 GHZ.

Tried to get my old router back but too late.

Not Sure What To Do ???

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Quantum Router Is No Better Than My Old Actiontec
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As an IT guy, these routers (And comcast's newest modems) have been driving me crazy. 

They suck up an entire 80 Mhz of the 5 GHz spectrum. They are literally ruining bandwidth in the 5 GHz area. What once used to be an uncrowded band with many channels avaible has turned into an already congested band with only 2 channels on 80 MHz instead of having many more on 20 or 40 MHz. 

This is all well and good for rural areas, but in cities it can be quite ugly. And heres the kicker, YOU CAN'T MANUALLY CHANGE THIS OPTION, which is extremely aggrivating. 

I would also be fine with this if these routers automatically stepped down to 40 or 20 Mhz wide channels if they detected interference, but nope, they just keep blasting away at their 80 Mhz. 

I really do hope a firmware upgrade allows users to force the G1100 to use a certain channel width that the user selects, this lack of a feature has been extremely annoying in many situations. 

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@rgfullerton wrote:

Well the new "QUNTUM ROUTER", that paid $150.00 for is absolutely no better than my old ACTIONTEC.  Range is no better and they claim up to 365 feet .......... JOKE!

Can't even maintain a connection at 2.4 GHZ.

Tried to get my old router back but too late.

Not Sure What To Do ???

You can add another better router as an access point and use that for better wifi range. The Quantum may be faulty, in that case have verizon replace it under their warranty. Call 1-800-VERIZON for assistance.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Every router gives range in clear space.

One thing you get with quantum router is 5ghz wireless.

jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

Every router gives range in clear space.

One thing you get with quantum router is 5ghz wireless.

Of which you can also get with other better range routers. 2.4 ghz, 5 ghz and guest networks in the same range. So the Quantum is not better than non Verizon routers.

0 Likes
ram8704
Enthusiast - Level 1

I didn't see anyone say that the Quantum router is better than other third party routers. My 3-4 year old Nighthawk is likely better. The thing is that is what the original poster has. The 5ghz band is available to see if it is better. Also you could try to change the frequency band on the 2.4ghz. You might be getting interference.  Also depending on what your walls are made of wireless might never really have proper penetration. In that scenario MoCa or Powerline might be an option. If you have a lot of wireless devices you will need extenders or a mesh network like the one Google just started selling.

Chucko52
Enthusiast - Level 1

Experiencing same exact issue. 4 service reps later.
calling corporate HQ in Manhattan to CEO Lowell McAdam.
wish me luck hope it helps

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As an IT guy, these routers (And comcast's newest modems) have been driving me crazy. 

They suck up an entire 80 Mhz of the 5 GHz spectrum. They are literally ruining bandwidth in the 5 GHz area. What once used to be an uncrowded band with many channels avaible has turned into an already congested band with only 2 channels on 80 MHz instead of having many more on 20 or 40 MHz. 

This is all well and good for rural areas, but in cities it can be quite ugly. And heres the kicker, YOU CAN'T MANUALLY CHANGE THIS OPTION, which is extremely aggrivating. 

I would also be fine with this if these routers automatically stepped down to 40 or 20 Mhz wide channels if they detected interference, but nope, they just keep blasting away at their 80 Mhz. 

I really do hope a firmware upgrade allows users to force the G1100 to use a certain channel width that the user selects, this lack of a feature has been extremely annoying in many situations. 

Billding

I've tried putting my fist through mine but it's pretty tough!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend
Smiley Happy
@Billding wrote:

I've tried putting my fist through mine but it's pretty tough!

Wear gloves when doing this. It keeps the broken fingers and knuckles intact for the hospital staff....Smiley Happy

0 Likes