Quantum internet with Netgear Nighthawk 1900 and no Verizon TV.....slow speeds via ethernet
soxhouse

Hello techie folks out there who can hopefully assist me. I was having a recuurring problem with my Quantum router as it kept booting me from 5G (tons of theads on here regarding that). I kept the FIOS internet but got rid of TV so having Netgear router no issue as I don't need On Demand, etc anymore. In any case it generally works well but I've noticed the speeds at my lone desktop in house that are tied via ethernet to the router are all in the 150/300 range even though the router settings are all correct (600Mps max at 2.4 and 1300 at 5G). I know that wirelsss products will be a fraction of the speed of a hard wired device but they are all virtually idntical-usually the low 100's, I'm wondering if my settings are wrong and slower via ethernet if my WiFi being broadcasted also slower than it should be (even if it frankly is acceptable).  QoS is not checked. Anyhow I'm a good HVAC guy but not a router guy this is as far as the World Wide Web has taken me. Hook a brother up?

0 Likes
Re: Quantum internet with Netgear Nighthawk 1900 and no Verizon TV.....slow speeds via ethernet
jonjones1
Legend

Do you still use the Quantum? Or just the Netgear?

if you still have the Quantum you can still get dhcp from the Quantum and put the Netgear into Access point mode (ap) this way you can turn the WiFi off on the Quantum and just use the Netgear to assign addresses and better WiFi.

without the Quantum in the mix you cannot access the Verizon Test site but can use ookla or others but they may show slower speeds.

it is possible your service is not provisioned at the correct speed. Calling Verizon tech support can get this looked into. They can test your connection from their side to your ONT but if no Verizon router then if they say it’s correct speed then it is your own equipment. In verizons Quantum Gateway Router you can also turn off WMM 

i will attach a user link for that router.

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

0 Likes
Re: Quantum internet with Netgear Nighthawk 1900 and no Verizon TV.....slow speeds via ethernet
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which speed tier are you on? Gigabit, 500Mbps, or 300Mbps?

It might be worth trying another patch cable between the ONT and the router to see if the existing cable run has a dodgy cable pair. At higher speeds, bad cabling will cause anomalies like this and even inconsistent speeds.

0 Likes