Question about 2nd Router
900at
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know there are a gazillion messages about adding a 2nd router and I've probably read half of them 😉 but I guess my question is simple enough that most will go doh.

I have the same issue with the ActionTec configured with a WEP password so my wireless speed never goes above 20.

Problem is I have a few devices that are old enough that they do not have an N modem so I have to have at least one router that can suppor them.

So I'm assuming if I get a 2nd router I can configure it with WPA2 and I will have one wireless router to support the N modem and one router to support the older ones.

If this is really possible, would you set the ActionTec up to support the N or the new router. 

Thanks,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question about 2nd Router
900at
Enthusiast - Level 3

While not working on this 24/7, I did fiddle a little now and then.  I finally figured out the issue.  

The ActionTEC would not recognize the static connection and instead always assigned a new DHCP address.  Could not get the 2nd router to 192.168.1.2. 

I discovered on the LinkSYS router there was a configuration setting on another tab that activated UPnP.  I unchecked that box and the ActionTEC immediately set it to the correct address. 

Not sure who manages the web page with the instructions but a note to disable UPnP would sure help.  

View solution in original post

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@900at wrote:

... ActionTec configured with a WEP password so my wireless speed never goes above 20 ... have a few devices that are old enough that they do not have an N modem ... if I get a 2nd router ... can configure it with WPA2  ... [?] ... If this is really possible ... set the ActionTec up to support the N or the new router ... [?]

You can do exactly as you suggest, but remember that the second router will normally connect to the Actiontec via Ethernet cable.  Most commercially available routers do not support MoCA.

If instead you use a second Actiontec (perhaps purchased on eBay or similar at a good price), you can connect via Coax (MoCA) anywhere there is coax available.  Then set the newer Actiontec to N and the older to G.  Try this link to learn details for the installation, including router settings, configurations, etc.:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Setting-up-a-network/m-p/571945#M37932

0 Likes
900at
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the link/.  Looks like something I might be able to do and it should solve the slow wireless issue

Thanks

0 Likes
900at
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought I would follow up and report my progress.

I bought a LinkSys EA3500, connected it to the Actiontec, ran the LinkSys CD and I was up and running in 5 minutes.  Both units are providing wireless connectivity.  Upload and download speeds from the EA3500 via wireless now match what my plan is.  Actiontec is still slow 😉  Since the new modem is allowing fast speeds, must be something wrong, nothing works that easy.

I then took a look at the link provided in a reply above and read section 3 ... Can I use my wireless or an extra router  ....

It recommends setting a static IP and disabling DHCP server. 

So, I logged into the Actiontec, went to my Home/Office network connections and set IP Address Distribution and set the start address to end in 10. I saved the changes, rebooted the Actiontec, and logged back in to verify the changes were saved. 

Logged into the EA3500 and attempted to set the IP address to 192.168.1.2.

I get an error message saying Invalid IP Address.  The unit currently does not start with 192.168 and DHCP is enabled.  Not sure which unit is the issue. 

I figured I'd ask do I need to configure the static IP and do I need to disable DHCP. It appears to be working fine but I'd rather not have any surprises.

Thanks

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@90th wrote:

... Logged into the EA3500 and attempted to set the IP address to 192.168.1.2 ... get an error message saying Invalid IP Address.  The unit currently does not start with 192.168 and DHCP is enabled ... do I need to configure the static IP and do I need to disable DHCP... 

Yes to both questions.  Check the specific steps in the DSLReports recipes and follow them to the letter ( http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506 ).  The Actiontec functions as DHCP server without wireless radio and as MoCA server for TV.  The EA3500 functions as wireless network access point using a static IP.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just going to comment that many older devices support at least WPA if not WPA2, even though they do not support wireless-n or sometimes don't even support wireless-g.  All depends on the device and whether the support originally existed or was updated later.

0 Likes
900at
Enthusiast - Level 3

At this point, I think I'm going to throw in the towel.

On day 1, I connected the LinkSys EA3500 to the ActionTec via ethernet and within 5 minutes my wireless was connected and giving me the speeds I expected. 

I've tried 12 ways from Sunday to  reconfigure the ActionTec and the EA 3500 to use the static adderss 192.169.1.2 and to turn of DNS following this link http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506. No dice. 

No matter what I do, the ActionTec auto assigns an address (192.168.1.14 today) and connections to the LinkSys are using a set of addresses in the 10.115.176.# range. I just get the feeing there is a step missing.

From the day I installed the EA3500 unitl now, I have had no speed issues or connectivity issues so I'm not sure if I'm chasing ghosts. 

While this configuration issue is perplexing, since I have my connectivity, I'm not sure adding hours is the right choice.

Open to suggestions.

0 Likes
900at
Enthusiast - Level 3

While not working on this 24/7, I did fiddle a little now and then.  I finally figured out the issue.  

The ActionTEC would not recognize the static connection and instead always assigned a new DHCP address.  Could not get the 2nd router to 192.168.1.2. 

I discovered on the LinkSYS router there was a configuration setting on another tab that activated UPnP.  I unchecked that box and the ActionTEC immediately set it to the correct address. 

Not sure who manages the web page with the instructions but a note to disable UPnP would sure help.