Question about Actiontec MI424WR Rev.1 Router
Buckshot420

I recently recieved this as my replacement router (Red stripe and dual antennas).  I noticed it has a WPS button on the front panel.  Is WPS active on this Routers current firmware?  If it is active, can I use my old Buffalo access point to connect directly to the router?  As of right now I piggybacked my old Buffalo router the the Actiontec LAN and connect my Buffalo access point to the Buffalo Router via WPS.  Any info/thoughts would be great.  Im even considering the Actiontec MoCa Ethernet adaptor and adding a 4 port gigabit switch if I have to buy new equipment.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Question about Actiontec MI424WR Rev.1 Router
Justin46
Legend

@Buckshot420 wrote:

I recently recieved this as my replacement router (Red stripe and dual antennas).  I noticed it has a WPS button on the front panel.  Is WPS active on this Routers current firmware?  If it is active, can I use my old Buffalo access point to connect directly to the router?  As of right now I piggybacked my old Buffalo router the the Actiontec LAN and connect my Buffalo access point to the Buffalo Router via WPS.  Any info/thoughts would be great.  Im even considering the Actiontec MoCa Ethernet adaptor and adding a 4 port gigabit switch if I have to buy new equipment.

Thanks

No it is not active, and we should all probably be glad it is not. Some severe security issues have been discovered with WPS:

https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/routers-using-wps-are-intrinsically-unsafe/

Keller, TX 76248

Buckshot420

Can I wireless connect my Buffalo Access Point to the Actiontec?  I'd like to eliminate the Buffalo 54 G Router completely since my service is higher than 54Mbs.  A wireless-N access point cost half of what the Actiontec MoCA Ethernet adapter would cost me.  What are my options as far as compatible access points?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Buckshot420 wrote:

Can I wireless connect my Buffalo Access Point to the Actiontec? 

Yes, as long as the Buffalo WAP supports wireless bridging.

Understand that you will get only half your wireless speeds however.

The wireless bridge receives data on one channel, then turns around and transmits it on another channel.

That takes twice as long.

0 Likes