Question about FiOS internet setup for upcoming new Triple Play installation
Luvdawgs

Hi!  I am wondering if when I have FiOS installed in two weeks can I choose to not install the email part on my computer?  I want to keep my existing email address, which I have with a different service and am paying for because I don't want to have to change it everywhere.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question about FiOS internet setup for upcoming new Triple Play installation
Justin46
Legend

@Luvdawgs wrote:

Thanks.  I am wondering if it ok to install just PART of the software, omitting the email?

I'm sorry, but what Verizon software do you think needs to be installed? Hint: THERE ISN'T ANY! Verizon has some software that can optionally be installed, but it is not required for anything you want to do on the internet - email, surf the web, ftp, play games, or anything else.

I have one Verizon software program installed, the Verizon Media Manager; I installed it because I thought I might use it, turns out it is just about as bad as all of the other Verizon software so I never use it, and have just not bothered to remove it.  All of the other optional Verizon software that I have experimented with I have removed, it just doesn't work, or at least it didn't in the past, I guess it might now.

FiOS is a terrific system, I have had internet, phone, and TV for almost 5 years. It works, and it works great. But Verizon has not yet figured out how to write and/or test decent software for PCs.

You are worrying about something that you don't need to worry about. Just keep your existing email accounts and use whatever program you are using to access that account and all will be fine.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Re: Question about FiOS internet setup for upcoming new Triple Play installation
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is nothing which needs to be installed on your computer.   If you're comfortable with connecting the computer to the router yourself (either wired or wireless), just tell the technician to NOT install any software.   Regardless of what they may say, there is no need for any software.

Luvdawgs

Thanks.  I am wondering if it ok to install just PART of the software, omitting the email?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Luvdawgs wrote:

I'm sorry, but what Verizon software do you think needs to be installed? Hint: THERE ISN'T ANY! Verizon has some software that can optionally be installed, but it is not required for anything you want to do on the internet - email, surf the web, ftp, play games, or anything else.

I have one Verizon software program installed, the Verizon Media Manager; I installed it because I thought I might use it, turns out it is just about as bad as all of the other Verizon software so I never use it, and have just not bothered to remove it.  All of the other optional Verizon software that I have experimented with I have removed, it just doesn't work, or at least it didn't in the past, I guess it might now.

FiOS is a terrific system, I have had internet, phone, and TV for almost 5 years. It works, and it works great. But Verizon has not yet figured out how to write and/or test decent software for PCs.

You are worrying about something that you don't need to worry about. Just keep your existing email accounts and use whatever program you are using to access that account and all will be fine.

Keller, TX 76248

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep... I'm right with Justin.  Just tell the technician to NOT install any software.   Anything you find that might want later (like the Media Manager Justin mentions) can be downloaded from the Verizon site and installed.

They will want you to setup a Verizon email account -- as this how you get access to your account information, etc. and receive notices about the service, etc.   But just tell him that you're planning to just use the webmail interface and you don't want any of the Verizon "customizations", etc. they sometimes install and mess up your computer.     You may need to setup that email account, but it doesn't need to be configured to your existing mail client or anything -- just get to it via webmail if/when you ever want to check it.   If you never give that address out to anyone, no one will every use it and your existing mail configuration and accounts will remain unaffected.

With that said, if you are using a third party email service (you don't mention which) which is configured to be accessed via Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc. -- you may need to make a modification to the SMTP sending port information in order for it to continue to work since Verizon blocks port 25 SMTP off-network as a way to drastically reduce SPAMbot activity from infected machines -- there are numerous threads here on this forum related to that and the switch to port 587 (typically) or some other port as provied by your email supplier.