Question about ethernet over coax?
jjsmd1

I was wondering if anyone has any advice.

Here is my setup, I have

1)  MI424WR   router installed at one location. I have an ethernet switch  connected to the router to carry ethernet all over the house. The  MI424WR is connected to fios with a coax cable.

2) I have a coax cable  ( connected to the fios)  at a location where I cannot get an ethernet cable and where I have a computer that I would like to connect to the network. . I was wondering if I can connect something to that coax cable that would connect it to the network and allow me to connect the computer at that spot?

Thanks in advance

Joe

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: Question about ethernet over coax?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

below are some ways for you to do what you would like to do. just keep in mind that those are advanced set ups and not supported over the phone or by technician at verizon, so you can do them at your own risk type of thing, and the only support you'll really have is from online users. .  If your a DIY (Do it yourself) kinda guy, then these should work,  

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking 

Speficially look at Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

DNAguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a similar connection. I have had FioS internet/tv/phone for several years now and the internet is connected in the house using an ethernet connection. I was told by Verizon that I can pick up the internet via Coax by connecting their Actiontech modem to the coax line and calling to have them remotly swicth the ONT to use the coax for internet. I got the Actiontech pluged in and called Verizon and I get a different answer from every tech that I have contacted. One says, this requires a technician to come over to swithc. Another says, nothing needs to be done and all I need to do is to connect the modem (I tried and this does not seem to work). Seems like what I was told originally would be the correct thing (getting them to reprogram the box remotely) but am not sure and I can't get anyone at Verizon to give me a consistent answer. Would really appreicate any feedback.

p.s. The reason i want to do this is the room where I have my computer now is no longer where the ethernet connection is placed and I don't get a good signal/speed to do this wireless.

0 Likes
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

You can try this option also.  This is ethernet over electical outlet converter.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+Powerline+Ethernet+A/V+Kit/9700669.p?id=1218152460995&skuId=97...

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jjsmd wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has any advice.

Here is my setup, I have

1)  MI424WR   router installed at one location. I have an ethernet switch  connected to the router to carry ethernet all over the house. The  MI424WR is connected to fios with a coax cable.

2) I have a coax cable  ( connected to the fios)  at a location where I cannot get an ethernet cable and where I have a computer that I would like to connect to the network. . I was wondering if I can connect something to that coax cable that would connect it to the network and allow me to connect the computer at that spot?

Thanks in advance

Joe

{edited for privacy}

Get another Actiontec or Westell 9100Em router on Ebay and set it up to bridge to the existing Actiontec router and then connect it to the coax connection at the location where you have the machine with no ethernet connection.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DNAguy wrote:

I have a similar connection. I have had FioS internet/tv/phone for several years now and the internet is connected in the house using an ethernet connection. I was told by Verizon that I can pick up the internet via Coax by connecting their Actiontech modem to the coax line and calling to have them remotly swicth the ONT to use the coax for internet. I got the Actiontech pluged in and called Verizon and I get a different answer from every tech that I have contacted. One says, this requires a technician to come over to swithc. Another says, nothing needs to be done and all I need to do is to connect the modem (I tried and this does not seem to work). Seems like what I was told originally would be the correct thing (getting them to reprogram the box remotely) but am not sure and I can't get anyone at Verizon to give me a consistent answer. Would really appreicate any feedback.

p.s. The reason i want to do this is the room where I have my computer now is no longer where the ethernet connection is placed and I don't get a good signal/speed to do this wireless.

You should have set up a new thread.

They can remotely provision the ONT for COAX.

You will need to get a splitter and attach it to the coax cable that you run from the ONT to the router.  Attach the current coax that goes to the router to one port on the splitter and run another coax from the router to the second port on the splitter.

After they change the provisioning on the ONT you probably have to power the router off and on - sorry, never done this but I see no way in router admin to enable/disable the Broadband connections so assume it will recognize which it is when it comes up.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Going to agree with viafax999 that you should have setup a new thread for this discussion since it differs from what the OP was asking (and for which Hubrisnxs provided great information on how to resolve).  With that said however, there are several appraoches here and a correction to what Verizon has been saying ...

I am assuming that you are using the ActionTec router connected to Ethernet to the ONT for your FiOS internet connection.

If so, connecting the Coax to this router will bridge the LOCAL ethernet to the MoCA LOCAL network (this would have already been done if you have FiOS TV since the STB's need that data path).   If you do this, you do NOT need to call Verizon to have them switch your traffic on the ONT over to Coax.

You can call and have them do this if you want, but it is absolutely not necessary.  The switch on the ONT to Coax would place the internet WAN traffic on the MoCA WAN data path (a different frequency on the coax from that being used for the local network).  No visit is required provided you already have the Coax in the house running to the ONT and connected by a technician.  If not, this is why you are likely being told that a tech needs to visit -- to connect the coax to the ONT and insure that it's been properly isolated from any other signal sources (like the cable company).

Once the router is bridging the ethernet LAN to the MoCA LAN, you then need to follow Hubrisnxs's post and obtain a bridge for the other room (I recommend highly the ActionTec ECB2200).

This assumes of course that the coax cable plant between your router and the room where you have the Coax outlet are the same cable plant -- there needs to be connectivity path between the two locations obviously for things to work.

You don't mention FiOS TV here, so I'm uncertain if you have another provider using the Coax you have available in that room (say, the cable company).   If so, then you can NOT connect this to the Verizon router and have it work since the cable company may well be interfering with that frequency -- and depending on how they chose to isolate your house, you may end up sending local LAN traffic into the neighborhood interfering with (or creating a security problem for yourself) their signal.

If you have an isolated cable run from the router to the room where the other Coax is located, then you should be OK.

DNAguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear viafax999 and lasagna,

Thanks a lot for the help and sorry if I should have started a new threat. I have the whole FioS package. So I am getting the TV on Coax and currently the ethernet comes to the house on ethernet. I called Verizon again asking for them to set the ONT up for internet on coax and the tech told me that they have to write up an order as I need a new router, etc. After convincing her that I had the correct router and folks on the forum has indicated they can do this without coming out to the house, she agreed that this was indeed possible and proceeded to get the change done. However, she found out that my ONT is old and can't do MoCA so I was told to call back on Monday and ask them to send someone to change the ONT.

I am slowly making some progress (at least I hope).

thanks again.

0 Likes
DNAguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just an update. I waited on the phone for over 30 m inutes and order dept. said they can't order an ONT so she pushed me back on tech support. Support siad they can't do anything since everything is working. They said I need to get an order for someone to move the connection so put me back to the orders department and after being on hold for 20 minutes I hung up and will wait 2 months until my contract is up and try to find a different service provide. Now I know why there are so many I have verzon websites.

0 Likes