Question about installing Fios in apartment complex
Chziime

I currently use a modem/router combo connected to a coax output in the wall, and I am upgrading to Fios in a few weeks. I plan on buying my own router and was looking at the Linksys AC1750, which only has ethernet inputs. However, I know that Fios requires different modules and cables.

My apartment complex only has coax outputs in convenient areas (presumably connected to a communal ONT), and there is one ethernet output on the other side of the apartment, in the kitchen. I assume this is for phone service, though.

What is the cheapest solution to this issue that would not introduce any bottlenecks to my internet speed? Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: Question about installing Fios in apartment complex
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you plan to order FiOS TV? If yes, order the FiOS Quantum G1100 from Verizon instead. If not, you can order any router you want as long as it has Gigabit Ethernet ports for WAN and LAN. Most 802.11ac routers have these, but be sure to double check the specs.

For connecting the router to your ONT, Verizon will require Ethernet for 100Mbps or more. Come install time, show the technician where you want the router to live. It should be near your primary use areas ideally without walls blocking the signal. The ONT, if not installed elsewhere, will probably be put next to your router as it is a small desktop sized unit. Check with your neighbors if they have FiOS to see what equipment they have. Only the older FiOS installs use communal ONTs, which deliver FiOS over VDSL instead of Fiber to the Unit.

Chziime

I do not plan on using FiOS TV, which is why I plan on getting my own router.

I think my confusion lies in this... does the Verizon tech install the ONT unit into my coaxial wall outlet? It's not some pre-existing unit I need to look for?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader
@Chziime wrote:

I do not plan on using FiOS TV, which is why I plan on getting my own router.

I think my confusion lies in this... does the Verizon tech install the ONT unit into my coaxial wall outlet? It's not some pre-existing unit I need to look for?

In multiple tenant units Verizon will typically run conduit to each unit to a closet. There will be a box that looks like one of the pictures I attached. 

The tech will run the fiber to that box and install the ONT in the unit. From there they can run ethernet to the router. 

If you have VDSL like the other poster said they will use the phone jack and connect that to a VDSL modem which can then connect to your router. 

imageimage