Question about router
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I have a Bluetooth subwoofer & ocassionally the sound breaks up. I know that Bluetooth & wifi share a 2.4 Ghz frequency. I'm wondering if the router conflicts with the Bluetooth. I know very little about configuring a router. Is it possible to change a channel or something so that the Bluetooth & router don't conflict with one another?

It's a MI424WR rev I.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question about router
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where is the router in relation to either of the bluetooth devices (receiver/transmitter)?   If you have the router in close proximity to either of the bluetooth devices, relocate one of them.   Two radios operating in close proximity to each other, regardless of frequencies, can interfere with one another (think of it like two people trying to have a conversation in a room in English while someone else is standing next to one of them screaming in French -- shouldn't interfere with the English conversation, but it does -- relocate the French person further away, and even though they are still in the room and can still be heard, they no longer interfere to the level that it impedes the English conversation).

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a Bluetooth speaker and have no issues.

What device are you streaming from?

If it is a cell phone, can you try powering router off and see if speaker still breaks up?

Bluetooth uses frequency hopping to avoid interference.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As others above me stated Bluetooth should not have much trouble with your WiFi router, personally I have 3 Access points in my house and I haven't seen any interference issues.

However, do you happen to know what model your router is? (The newer, G1100, or the older Actiontec Models?). The newer routers from Verizon support 5 GHz, a less congested band that operates on a completely different frequency than 2.4 GHz. Granted, your client device would have to support this, but most newer mobile devices do.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where is the router in relation to either of the bluetooth devices (receiver/transmitter)?   If you have the router in close proximity to either of the bluetooth devices, relocate one of them.   Two radios operating in close proximity to each other, regardless of frequencies, can interfere with one another (think of it like two people trying to have a conversation in a room in English while someone else is standing next to one of them screaming in French -- shouldn't interfere with the English conversation, but it does -- relocate the French person further away, and even though they are still in the room and can still be heard, they no longer interfere to the level that it impedes the English conversation).

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

The router is about 20-30 feet from the bluetooth subwoofer. I can't relocate either the router or the subwoofer. Should I point the antennas away from the direction of the subwoofer?

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

It's a MI424WR Rev I.

I have an LG G3 cellphone. I don't know if it supports the 5 Ghz frequency or not. Also lately it keeps forgetting the router's password but I'm trading it in tomorrow on a new phone.

I'm thinking about renting the new Quantum router.

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I'm not streaming from any device.

I'm suspecting that the router's 2.4 Ghz frequency is conflicting with the Bluetooth's 2.4 Ghz frequency & that's why the sound from the subwoofer is breaking up.

It's my understanding that the MI424WR Rev I is a single band not a dual band. Is the quantum router the only 2-band router that Verizon offers?

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

It's my understanding that the MI424WR Rev I is a single band not a dual band. Is the quantum router the only 2-band router that Verizon offers?

Correct, the MI424WR Models are 2.4 GHz only. The Quantum router is the one that supports both bands.

I'd call Verizon about the Quantum router, upon asking they sent me one for no cost, but that may have been due to me upgrading my internet speed.

Another approach you could take which would probably be easier and cheaper would be to get something like this netgear 5 GHz "Access Point" which would just plug into your existing Actiontec router (no upgrade needed). Then you would just have to shut off wifi on the Actiontec. http://r.ebay.com/Xnh3Ku

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So what device does subwoofer get Bluetooth data from?

Can you try moving it closer to that device?

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I have an HDTV with Bluetooth subwoofer.

The sound breakup isn't that bad. For a fraction of a second there will be no sound.

0 Likes