Question about townhome complex and FIOS
hopetwood

Hello ppl,

I live in Mar Vista CA 90066 and FIOS is rolling out here to the homes.  But I live in a townhome complex where 9 townhomes are connected side by side.

Is there a process I can initiate that would help get fios deployed to these 90 units?   I know I would have to get it approved by the HOA, but does somebody have

to ask Verizon for FIOS and then does Verizon contact the property manager?   Would Verizon even bother?

Also, would they have to wire the buildings with CAT5 or can they use the RG6 that's already there?   And they would have to put MDU ONTs somewhere I suppose.

TIA,
Hope 

0 Likes
Re: Question about townhome complex and FIOS
prisaz
Legend

Your HOA may not have much to do with it. I am in MD and not CA, but here if their is a utility easment the HOA has not much to say. Many properties have some type of easment for public utilities. If the property is a Condo type and not an HOA, the management can prevent things from being done to the property on the outside. But you said HOA, so you are most likely in good shape because you should own your land and your part of the structure. It may be you just need to make many inquiries to availability, and add your Verizon phone number, or address to the notification list for when it becomes available. Get your neighbors to do the same. If it is in your area, the more hits VZ gets the faster it will be available.

Here is a link that came up for me.

http://www22.verizon.com/residential/fiosinternet/checkavailability/checkavailability.htm

Also here there are passive optical splitter boxes in the neighborhood and fiber to each unit. RG-6 is good. They will install and ONT Optical Terminal Unit.

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSInternet/Installation/Installation.htm

From what I have heard the MDU ONTs are not being used. Even in apartments I have heard that the ONTs are being installed in each unit. With the launch of TV and the use of QAM and TV over IP combination, I think they ran into issues with the MDU ONTs 

Message Edited by prisaz on 12-20-2008 06:22 AM
Message Edited by prisaz on 12-20-2008 06:26 AM
0 Likes
hopetwood

Thanks for your response.  I didn't know about uitlity easments.   After googling,  I found that in some cases Verizon uses VDSL to run the signal the last yards to the premises.   That means they could just add a box near the existing phone distribution and

run the internet over the existing wire pairs to a VDSL modem inside the residence.  Then (I think) they would run coax from that MDU ONT to the existing cable distro for the TV signal.   Even if my HOA was gestapo on the issue they would agree to that, since its all hidden in the garages.     I just don't think they would like Verizon running CAT5 to each townhome and installing separate ONTs.   They would have to run the wires along the outside of the building and drill holes into it...and that would be noticiable.

I checked FIOS availability and they said it wasn't available yet...but I know one person who lives near me that has it already (single family residence).   This is one of the parts of Los Angeles City proper to get FIOS.   The CO is literally down my block.  Oh well,  I will try to get the names of people in this complex who want it and go from there.   And at the next HOA meeting I will bring it up.  

-Hope xoxo

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Never heard of VDSL doing the final FIOS connection. Rather defeats the whole FIOS idea. Here there are about the same number of units side by side. Each one has an ONT. Mine happens to be inside due to the fact I was first and nice to the installers. Since then VZ will refuse to do it that was because you need to be home for service. Being 100 deg f outside when it was installed, having conduit run and a board on the wall helped. Perhaps Ca laws are different then MD, i'm sure. They should be able to run the fiber where ever they have copper runs, easements should be there, but I am in the East. Good luck.

Oh they would not run CAT5 to each place. The ONT has fiber to it.

Message Edited by prisaz on 12-23-2008 07:47 AM
0 Likes