Question about wireless connectivity...
TheBob3
Where exactly in the Verizon contract, or Terms of Service does it state that wireless connectivity is NOT guaranteed as solid connectivity, nor are provisioned speeds while wireless as well? Would be a wonderful thing to have proof of just in case, if you get my drift.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question about wireless connectivity...
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

TheBob wrote:
Where exactly in the Verizon contract, or Terms of Service does it state that wireless connectivity is NOT guaranteed as solid connectivity, nor are provisioned speeds while wireless as well? Would be a wonderful thing to have proof of just in case, if you get my drift.

Hello TheBob,

I believe this document is what you may be looking for.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't know where that provision would be, but I can see why there would be one.  Verizon has only a little control over where to place the router and no control over where the wireless computers are located. 

Wireless signal strength is determined by how far you are away from the router and what's in between you and the router.  Any metal or heavy masonry will dampen the signal.  Also other wireless devices like 2.4 mhz wireless phones can degrade or even kill a signal.

I used to setup wireless routers as part of my job.  There is a plan of older homes in my area that have a poured concrete slab floors.  If the router was in the basement the only way you could get a signal was to place the computer on the floor.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

TheBob wrote:

Hello TheBob,

I believe this document is what you may be looking for.

Regards,

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

It's there in the TOS;  but finding you the exact paragraphs and lines is not productive.

A brief amount of research would provide:

>that the fastest most common in recent years wireless throughput is 54Mbps (wireless G) which is only at half the speed of a wired connection.

yes, one might be able to receive 108Mbps, but what that actually is is (2) 54 Mb streams hitting you at the same time.  Your 'receiving' equipment must   

be  capable  (neither the 2 streams nor the receiving quipment is provided by your ISP)

yes wireless N is out, but one usually has to purchase own equipment for that (not provided by Verizon) (or any other ISP that I am aware of)

>As has already been mentioned by posters before me, the various things that can possibly affect your wireless reception include everything electronic in your immediate area AND ALSO any of your neighbor's electronics if you share a common wall

>even the computer you are trying to use, in too many ways, can affect your wireless reception

SO there is really no way anybody could guarantee wireless

TheBob3

@cjacobs001: Trust me on this, I'm well aware of the difference between ethernet and wireless connectivity. Wish I could say more, but don't think I'm allowed to(nothing  mean spirited, just restricted as to what I can say on this forum, technically, per the company I work for.) All I needed was proof, for the "just in case" situations, if you get my drift. : P

Mods/admins, if it's possible, you can lock this thread now.

Thanks for the response, everyone!

0 Likes