Question regarding ONT connection via Ethernet and Cable cards
TheBigmac

Hi,

We recently upgraded to Fios Quation 150Mbps/65  plan. We are not getting the advertised speeds (we only get like 5mbps upload) so verizon is sending a tech to switch the ONT connection from coax to ethernet.

I have 2 questions regarding this new setup:

1. If the ONT communicates with the Fios Actiontect router via ethernet instead of coax from now on, How will the set top boxes and Tivo-esque cable card powered device I currently have connected to coax, talk to the verizon system from now on, if coax is taken out of the equation? Will fios signal still flow through the internal coax wiring of the house? And moreover, I was under the impression that coax was the way set top boxes communicated and derived independent ip addresses from the Fios router, for on deman purposes and what not. How will this work from now on?

Quiestion 2.

Right next to the wall where the ONT sits, theres's a basement office where we have a PC that connects to the Fios system  via an Actiontect MoCa adapter (ECB2500C) which I assume derives it internet connection from the Fios Actiontec router which sits upstairs in the living room. 

Again, with the Coax about to be disabled next Friday in favor of ethernet connection from the ONT, I assume this PC will be left without internet because of the lack of internet signal in the coax? Is this correct? 

Question 2.5 If my above assumption is correct, since this office is right on the other side of the wall where the ONT sits outside the house, would it be possible to run an ethernet wire through the wall that connects straight from the ONT to an ethernet switch inside the office, from which I would derive a connection for this basement PC (properly firewalled of course) and then, from said switch, continue running the ethernet wire that would ultimately reach the Actiontec Fios router upstairs from which the rest of the house derives it's internet?  and would this setup affect in any way the propper functioning of the cable boxes in the house?

I'd appreciate your input and any help you can provide so I can have a ballpark idea of what to tell the Fios guy to do when he comes on Friday.

Cheers.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question regarding ONT connection via Ethernet and Cable cards
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

1. If the ONT communicates with the Fios Actiontect router via ethernet instead of coax from now on, How will the set top boxes and Tivo-esque cable card powered device I currently have connected to coax, talk to the verizon system from now on, if coax is taken out of the equation? Will fios signal still flow through the internal coax wiring of the house? And moreover, I was under the impression that coax was the way set top boxes communicated and derived independent ip addresses from the Fios router, for on deman purposes and what not. How will this work from now on?

There will be two connections from the Router, one COAX for the STB's and one Ethernet for Internet.  I currently have both connections running today.  The Router will then connect the LAN and COAX onto the same network (192.168.1.x) and then use the Ethernet for the WAN (Internet) connection.

2. Right next to the wall where the ONT sits, theres's a basement office where we have a PC that connects to the Fios system  via an Actiontect MoCa adapter (ECB2500C) which I assume derives it internet connection from the Fios Actiontec router which sits upstairs in the living room.   Again, with the Coax about to be disabled next Friday in favor of ethernet connection from the ONT, I assume this PC will be left without internet because of the lack of internet signal in the coax? Is this correct? 

This is NOT correct.  If VZ switches your Internet Connection from COAX to Ethernet, that PC will still have connectvity.  May I suggest when the change is made that you verify from each STB you can access VOD, DVR, Guide, TV.  From all PC's verify all PC connectivity.

Regarding your last question, you need a connection from the ONT to the VZ Router.  Technically I guess you could go through another switch but you should have a homerun connection from the ONT to the VZ router for the best performance.  That PC you mention would need to connect via the VZ router.

Hope this helps.

Jim

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

There will be two connections from the Router, one COAX for the STB's and one Ethernet for Internet.  I currently have both connections running today.  The Router will then connect the LAN and COAX onto the same network (192.168.1.x) and then use the Ethernet for the WAN (Internet) connection.

2. Right next to the wall where the ONT sits, theres's a basement office where we have a PC that connects to the Fios system  via an Actiontect MoCa adapter (ECB2500C) which I assume derives it internet connection from the Fios Actiontec router which sits upstairs in the living room.   Again, with the Coax about to be disabled next Friday in favor of ethernet connection from the ONT, I assume this PC will be left without internet because of the lack of internet signal in the coax? Is this correct? 

This is NOT correct.  If VZ switches your Internet Connection from COAX to Ethernet, that PC will still have connectvity.  May I suggest when the change is made that you verify from each STB you can access VOD, DVR, Guide, TV.  From all PC's verify all PC connectivity.

Regarding your last question, you need a connection from the ONT to the VZ Router.  Technically I guess you could go through another switch but you should have a homerun connection from the ONT to the VZ router for the best performance.  That PC you mention would need to connect via the VZ router.

Hope this helps.

Jim

TheBigmac

Thanks for answering all my questions Jim.

Regarding the last one, I understand it is "optimal" to run an ethernet cable straight from the ONT to the Verizon router, but the thing is the room where this PC sits, is right next to the ONT and I would really like for the wire that the tech is about to install, to make a "pit stop" in this room, before continuing upstairs to the verizon router, since in order to do it the traditional way (200+ ft of ethernet cable straight from the ONT to Verizon router in the upstairs living room, and then another 200ft of ethernet from the verizon router back to the basement where this pc sits, which is literally 5 feet away from the ONT where the whole thing started) I would have to run a really long cable, twice back and forth.

My question is, is my alternative solution (splitting the signal via switch before it reaches the verizon modem) technically possible without interfering with the proper functioning of the rest of the network in the house?  From the OMT perspective how would this work? Would the ONT see 2 devices (#1 my pc and #2- the verizon router) connected directly to it? Would it just assign 1 ip for each on the same subnet and would both have internet connectivity?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

It's not valid to have two devices connected to the ONT, PC and VZ Router.  Must be a single device. The ONT locks onto the MAC Address of the first device it sees. Since you have TV you should have the VZ router as the internet facing router.

Other options:

1.  Have the VZ Router located next to the PC in the basement and then use Wireless for all other PC's.

2.  Have the VZ Router located next to the PC in the basement but run one wire upstairs and connect a switch where other PCs and devices can connect via a wire.

Hope that helps.

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

restated, move the Actiontec from the living room to the basement. Run a CAT5e from the basement to the living room.  Put a gigabit switch in the living room at the end of this cable.  Put the other end in the router in the basement.

0 Likes
TheBigmac

Thanks for the clarifications and for both of your suggestions.

I really appreciate it. Will follow your advice and move the router downstairs.

Cheers.

0 Likes