Questions regarding new FIOS connection
stigIceman

Hi All,

I will be moving to a new place in 3 weeks time. The new place is a 2nd-floor apartment in a 4 unit building. I checked fios availability online at the new address and it shows fios is available at 200/200, 500/500, and gigabit speeds.

I checked the apartment today, there is no ONT box anywhere in the apartment or outside. Also, the building doesn't have a basement or a common utility area. The only connection I saw inside the apartment was a coaxial cable.

My question: How will the technician install the ONT box with fiber and ethernet enabled in my apartment? How will the fiber come inside the unit? Will the technician drill holes in the 2nd-floor wall?

Any response is greatly appreciated?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Questions regarding new FIOS connection
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It really depends, there are alot of different setups. Buildings will typically have a fiber terminal either inside or outside. From there, small conduits will lead to a random closet in each unit. Newer buildings will usually have a white communications panel where all the wires terminate. 

The terminal may also be on the pole out front. In that case they will probably run the fiber from the pole directly to the 2nd floor. From there they will run ethernet along the baseboards to wherever your router is going.

Either way the tech will know what needs to be done. Do you see wires from outside leading to the building to any of the other units?

View solution in original post

Re: Questions regarding new FIOS connection
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It really depends, there are alot of different setups. Buildings will typically have a fiber terminal either inside or outside. From there, small conduits will lead to a random closet in each unit. Newer buildings will usually have a white communications panel where all the wires terminate. 

The terminal may also be on the pole out front. In that case they will probably run the fiber from the pole directly to the 2nd floor. From there they will run ethernet along the baseboards to wherever your router is going.

Either way the tech will know what needs to be done. Do you see wires from outside leading to the building to any of the other units?