REALLY SLOOOOW FIOS Internet
Customerfromva

About a month or so ago we started to get really slooow FIOS internet speeds on our computers and Ipad at home.  We reboot the box, it shakes it loose, still slooooooooooooow.   Slower than any dial up connection.  Pages timing out.  Ridulous.   We have also noticed more problems than usual on the FIOS TV service -  sometimes we get a big black box on the screen for days and you can't see 1/2 of tv screen (that's fun).   So it puts the TV out of commision for a few days at time.  Frozen TV screens, etc. that seems typically with FIOS, but something has gotten worse in the last month or so.  What is going on?  How do you increase the FIOS internet speed so I can a least get my email without using my non-verizon phone?

0 Likes
Re: REALLY SLOOOOW FIOS Internet
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Customerfromva wrote:

About a month or so ago we started to get really slooow FIOS internet speeds on our computers and Ipad at home.  We reboot the box, it shakes it loose, still slooooooooooooow.   Slower than any dial up connection.  Pages timing out.  Ridulous.   We have also noticed more problems than usual on the FIOS TV service -  sometimes we get a big black box on the screen for days and you can't see 1/2 of tv screen (that's fun).   So it puts the TV out of commision for a few days at time.  Frozen TV screens, etc. that seems typically with FIOS, but something has gotten worse in the last month or so.  What is going on?  How do you increase the FIOS internet speed so I can a least get my email without using my non-verizon phone?

Sounds like an ONT, Fiber, or Coaxial issue. Any three will cause what you're seeing issues with since this is a multi-service issue. Is your house phone service, should you have it through Verizon also having issues?  Have you asked Verizon to check things from their end to see if they can troubleshoot things? You'll need to mention that both TV and Internet are seeing issues, and phone too if that also gives a problem. It should be an almost instant tech dispatch at that point.

If you wish to check things yourself, give the ONT a reboot. To do this, unplug the ONT from AC power and then locate where the battery is and unplug one of the connectors from the battery. Give it 30 seconds, and then re-connect the battery and then plug the ONT back in.

To diagnose your Coaxial cables, start off by checking where your splitter is, which should be near your ONT. Make sure the connections are tight and look to be in good shape, and make sure any taps on the splitter are capped or have something connected to them. Anything unterminated can introduce noise into the cable.

I would also check the MoCa signal levels in your router. See this FAQ for more details. Your speed should be in the lower 200s minimum. If it's 200Mbps or less, that's no good.

https://secure.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.2_MOCA#16569

Customerfromva

Our internet is still slow.   I am using my phone for the internet and it's eating up my data plan.   So frustrating to pay almost a couple of hundred bucks a month to Verizon for speeds like 7. mpbs or sometimes 15.mpbs.   Is this normal speed for FIOS?   What upload and download speeds do others have?    A dial up modem would be faster than this. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:
http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes