Random Internet Disconnections
MdcityGhost

I just upgraded from 15/2 to the 20/5 triple-play plan. The verizon tech switched out our old router for the Actiontec mi424. It was working fine for about a hour or two before i would lose internet connection every five mins or so. The internet led on the router would turn orange for a few minutes and then back to green. I have tried to reset the router to default settings but it didnt work. I would just switch back to my old router but it seems the tech took it with him. Any idea what to do? its only been 1 or 2 days.

Thanks 

0 Likes
Re: Random Internet Disconnections
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

If this is a new install and your internet light on the router is alternating between amber and green, something is definately wrong.  Either the router needs to be 'hard reset' or something is wrong with it or a piece of it, or something is wrong in the cable (coax or ethernet) bringing the internet signal to the router, or something is wrong at the optical network terminal.   

The easiest thing to do is to verify that all connections are snug starting with the cable that comes out of the optical network terminal (the biggest box that verizon installed) following it all the way thru all connections ( possibly the splitter, maybe back of the jack in the wall, to the router). 

Then, if you do not find anything or if it makes no difference once you fix it, do a hard reset to the router. 

This requires that you take a pen or pencil or paperclip or something with a small tip on the end and find the hole on the back of the router that has a red ring around it and press the hole straight in and, for good measure, hold it in for at least 15 seconds.   The allow up to 3 minutes for all of the lights on the front of the router to come back on TO GREEN.  You should have the power light (if it is amber you need to unplug the power from the a\c outlet for about 10 seconds, then start over waiting for the lights to turn green), the WAN ethernet or the WAN coax light (depending on which connection you have to the ONT), the internet light (this is usually the last light to become green), the LAN coax light (if you have Verizon video service) the LAN ethernet lights for any devices you have plugged into your router via ethernet cable, and the Wireless light.  

Then, if it is still happening, your ONT (optical network terminal) may need to be rebooted or have some work inside it.   You can reset your ONT by yourself by a 3-step process:  unplugging the electrical cord that is attached to your battery back-up unit, then opening the battery backup unit (usually a straight screwdriver will suffice) and then disconnect the battery terminals.   This may be accomplished by disconnecting the plug that is located where the wires coming from each terminal meet as they come together, or just loosening the battery terminals and pulling out the wires.   You can be sure this is pretty safe if you unplug the electricity FIRST.    AFter the power is completely disconnected, wait at least 3 minutes before you put it back together, making sure everything is snug and plugging in the electricity afgter you have hooked up the battery and closed the battery case.    

OR you can call the tech support line at 1-888-553-1555 and explain to then what is happening and tell them what steps you have already taken and ask them to reboot the ONT from their office.  

It may be possible that you have a bad cable, or cable end, somewhere in the mix, or that the router is defective, and in this case, since it is a new install, you can get a field tech to come back out to find the issue and repair it.

hope this helps

0 Likes
MdcityGhost
Just tried it but it didnt work. I dont think its the wires cause I had fios before, the only thing the tech did was switch out the router.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@MdcityGhost wrote:
Just tried it but it didnt work. I dont think its the wires cause I had fios before, the only thing the tech did was switch out the router.

If you had FIOS internet before. And did not have TV, it may be a COAX issue. Fios TV uses the COAX IP connection. If you had ethernet connected to your router before, and did not use coax, try disconnectiong the COAX from the router. If this fixes your internet, the issue is with the COAX. If you did not have ethernet from the ONT to the router then it could still be the addition to the COAX if you added set top boxes. I have Ethernet and COAX from the ONT to the router. My older ONT does not support IP over coax. In any case they should come back and fix it since it is a new upgraded install.

Message Edited by prisaz on 03-01-2009 01:28 PM
0 Likes
MdcityGhost

Just tried disconnected the coax from the router but it didnt fix the problem. 

I am wondering if I can just get a new router from the store or i have to get verizon to switch it out?
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@MdcityGhost wrote:

Just tried disconnected the coax from the router but it didnt fix the problem. 

I am wondering if I can just get a new router from the store or i have to get verizon to switch it out?
The COAX on the Actioniontec router is used for Your Video On Demand, Channel Guide, and widgets. Disconnecting the coax was a test to see if that was causing the issue. It is required with the set top boxes. Verizon should be able to check some things if you contact tech support. They could send you a replacement. If you have the Ethernet to the ONT enabled, you could use a different router but would need to configure it properly. Without the COAX on the router your internet would work but TV would have issues. I would call them and request one sent next day, or come back NOW and fix it since it's only been a couple of days.
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-01-2009 06:19 PM
0 Likes
MdcityGhost
Okay I got verizon to send me a new router and i installed it just a few hours ago. although it helped alittle, now my outages are less often but the problem remains. I bout to run out and buy a temp. router just to test it out.
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you using Windows Vista?  FIOS internet/Actiontech Router and Vista have major issues even though if you speak with a couple of VZ employees here, they try to deny it.

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=2264

See my thread above and the hell I went through to fix it.

Message Edited by fiostvman on 03-04-2009 01:47 PM
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@fiostvman wrote:

Are you using Windows Vista?  FIOS internet/Actiontech Router and Vista have major issues even though if you speak with a couple of VZ employees here, they try to deny it.

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=2264

See my thread above and the hell I went through to fix it.

Message Edited by fiostvman on 03-04-2009 01:47 PM

Wireless issues from what I have read. It is a Vista problem. I have run multiple boxes on my Fios connection without issues. Vista 32 and 64-bit with Service Pack 1 and SP2 RC. Running Windows 7 64 bit beta on this machine. All has worked great. I had a buddy of mine over and he had one laptop with Vista 32 bit and one With Windows 7 64 bit with no wireless connection issues. Not everyone has the problem.
0 Likes
MdcityGhost
Not a wireless issue, the modem loses internet connectivety every now and then. I have a total of 6 wired devices on my network if that has anything to do with it.
0 Likes