Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Random Internet Disconnections

fiostvman
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: Random Internet Disconnections

Message 11 of 17
(4,679 Views)

@prisaz wrote:

@fiostvman wrote:

Are you using Windows Vista?  FIOS internet/Actiontech Router and Vista have major issues even though if you speak with a couple of VZ employees here, they try to deny it.

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=2264

See my thread above and the hell I went through to fix it.

Message Edited by fiostvman on 03-04-2009 01:47 PM

Wireless issues from what I have read. It is a Vista problem. I have run multiple boxes on my Fios connection without issues. Vista 32 and 64-bit with Service Pack 1 and SP2 RC. Running Windows 7 64 bit beta on this machine. All has worked great. I had a buddy of mine over and he had one laptop with Vista 32 bit and one With Windows 7 64 bit with no wireless connection issues. Not everyone has the problem.

It is not a Vista problem. It is a FiOS internet/Actiontech Router issue. My problems were resolved by turning off the wireless signal in the actiontech router and installing the Trendnet. It has been almost a month now and I have not dropped a single wireless signal with the Trendnet.

With the Actiontech Router, I dropped signals 3-4 times a day for over six months even when my laptop was right beside the router..

Message Edited by fiostvman on 03-04-2009 06:25 PM
prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 12 of 17
(4,676 Views)
Ok wired connections. You could probably have hundreds if the NAT table could handle it. I know the addresses could be given out but I do not think the NAT connection table in the Actiontec would stand for it. In your case I do not think it is a FIOS issue with Vista. I have seen network issues where a gigabit network card is connected over CAT 5 will cause just that problem. My daughters XP box was dropping in and out until I went into her network card settings and locked it to 100FDX. It didn't do it until I moved her off the router and pluged her PC into my gigabit switch. I forgit she was on CAT5.
fiostvman
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 13 of 17
(4,648 Views)

This is the product the OP needs to get. Works like a charm. 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10150726-58.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

jprabhu
Contributor
Contributor

Message 14 of 17
(4,627 Views)

HI All,

Even I upgraded to FIOS 20/5 and have the same isssue, for some reason the internet just stops and I loose the signal, I dont know why this happens.

never had this problem with DSL at speed of 4 MBPS  ?

Does anyone have the solution, does restarting the router or resetting it solve the problem,

I know the computer has to be restarted sometimes for the ip to be refreshed but atleast 2 or 3 times I lose connectivity..................

Smiley Mad

fiostvman
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 15 of 17
(4,613 Views)

For persons with the disappearing globe that causes them to lose internet connection, try this possible solution that I got from the MS website. It worked for this particular poster.  .

Do "Control, Alt, Delete". Under the processes tab, you will see a service called  "Function Discovery Provider Host". Click on the service and on the second tab,  you change the  three recovery options to "restart the service" . On the first tab, change the option from "manual" to "automatic"  and then click apply or okay and then reboot your PC. 

I tried it myself  and the globe did reappear after being previously off. I may have to wait a week or so to see if the globe stays on permanently.

fiostvman
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 16 of 17
(4,583 Views)

The above didn't work for me. My globe still comes and goes,but I don't lose internet connection since I have switched to the Trendnet a little less than a month ago.

My Trendnet solved my six months of aggravation with the Actiontech's wireless signal issues.

Shadow64
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 17 of 17
(4,563 Views)

You are describing similar problems that I had as well.  I don't mention these in my post, but take a look and it might solve your problem.

I have absolutely no problems now.

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=2264&view=by_date_asce...

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.