Re: A Better World Through Technology
stevee01
Enthusiast - Level 1

We recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet (7-in screen) from a Verizon Wireless store.  After 6 days, I returned it today to the store because for some reason the tablet would not link to my home FIOS router  for WiFi.  This was the same problem  in both my original purchased and the replacement Galaxy Tabs. 

After one of the Verizon Wireless techs spent  a good hour with me to create the WiFi handshake, the tech deteremined that there was an incompatibility between thw Samsung Tablet's Android OS and the Verizon FIOS router.

The tech and I tried factory resets 3 times but the WIFI option continued to give an error reading of "Disabled. Secured with WEP". 

Has anyone else had similar issues trying to connect an WiFi capable instrument using the Android OS and Verizon FIOS routers?  We really like the Galaxy tab but we want to have a WI FI capability when we are in a WIFI area such as McDonalds or Starbucks.

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Have you considered changing to WPA instead of WEP?

For WEP, I think the key is case sensitive. Or I might be thinking of something else.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

From as far as I know, the WEP keys are not case sensitive however they are case sensitive on some devices that mistake certain characters as hexidecimal values. The option to move to WPA2 is the best choice for this though. It seems to solve most of the wireless-related issue when it comes down to connecting. The only question is, since he mentioned the Wireless working for a few days I'm curious if the FiOS router is having a problem with the firmware or the hardware but isn't showing up nicely.

0 Likes