Real Time Scanning and Virused!!
glenda_lee_s
Enthusiast - Level 3

Virused, malware, trojans, stealths...whatever you name it...something, everything hit my laptop last night 8pm!!  Started with warning from Verizon Security Suite saying computer at risk, real time scanning is turned off.  I turned it on....off, on, off, on...and then all these Vista spyware 2011 pop ups, stealth warnings etc....sorry I don't have the lingo.   Eventually the laptop was useless even in safe mode!  Called 800 support, went thru some steps, such as task manager, go to process, dump process tree???  several times over and over again.  I was then told (it was midnight now) to run a complete scan, and it will take care of everything by morning, if not call us back!  Whatever!!

I took it upon myself to do a system restore this afternoon.  Went back to 3/13...so I thought I better check windows updates, Verizon updates etc.  I'm confused...If I have Verizon Security Suite, do I not need to mess with Windows defenders, spyware, malware, firewall protection??  Is this why Verizon Real Time Scanning turns off every 5 minutes? or is there still a problem.   After restore the computer is acting well, but the Security Suite is not.  I'm sure it's something as simple as turning of windows defender or something, right? maybe? hopefully?  

This was my 1st system restore, is there anything else i need to check, scan and make sure up to date??   And why did I get attacked when we pay for the security on our monthly bill, said account is current, and everything was active, and scanning waS ON??

any quick responses appreciated...i'm currently removing some programs...but scared to death that if real time scanning not on, I'm fixin to get attacked again....

Thank you,

glenda

(and why didn't support just suggest a system restore, there wasn't much to it...compare to the paces they put me thru last night, never was resolved when they let me off the fone....ugh!

Thanks for any help and in advance for my venting...

glenda

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Real Time Scanning and Virused!!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Often times, considering how advanced malware has gotten, a System Restore will simply result in getting infected again. Most infections I've come across tend to occur months before they actually strike and are found. If they are one of those infections that slip in overnight (those JavaScript ones that slip in through Advertisements and infected search results), those tend to infect even the System Restore points. System Restore is a handy tool to have, but it isn't bulletproof.

When such issues happen, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware are wonderful, free pieces of software to have around. Best scanners out there for Malware that are updated daily. To be on the safe side before you start messing with the system anymore, download and install MalwareBytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org) along with SUPERAntiSpyware (http://www.superantispyware.com) and perform a full scan with both scanners. Clean out any infections found, reboot if needed, and then we can go from there to see why the Security Suite is acting up.

When you install the Verizon Internet Security Suite (McAfee under the hood), one of the first things it does is disables the built-in Windows Defender as well as the Windows Firewall, since the Security Suite includes a Firewall and a Spyware scanner with itself. Having two Firewalls and/or real-time scanners in operation can cause some rather nasty problems, besides dragging down system performace. So yes, if the security suite is installed, it's normal for Defender and Windows Firewall to be disabled. When the suite is removed, Defender and Windows Firewall should automatically be re-enabled.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Often times, considering how advanced malware has gotten, a System Restore will simply result in getting infected again. Most infections I've come across tend to occur months before they actually strike and are found. If they are one of those infections that slip in overnight (those JavaScript ones that slip in through Advertisements and infected search results), those tend to infect even the System Restore points. System Restore is a handy tool to have, but it isn't bulletproof.

When such issues happen, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware are wonderful, free pieces of software to have around. Best scanners out there for Malware that are updated daily. To be on the safe side before you start messing with the system anymore, download and install MalwareBytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org) along with SUPERAntiSpyware (http://www.superantispyware.com) and perform a full scan with both scanners. Clean out any infections found, reboot if needed, and then we can go from there to see why the Security Suite is acting up.

When you install the Verizon Internet Security Suite (McAfee under the hood), one of the first things it does is disables the built-in Windows Defender as well as the Windows Firewall, since the Security Suite includes a Firewall and a Spyware scanner with itself. Having two Firewalls and/or real-time scanners in operation can cause some rather nasty problems, besides dragging down system performace. So yes, if the security suite is installed, it's normal for Defender and Windows Firewall to be disabled. When the suite is removed, Defender and Windows Firewall should automatically be re-enabled.

Justin46
Legend

Kudos to Smith6612 for his post, and I agree 100% with his recommendations for MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware. I have used them a number of times on other people's systems to successfully clean them up, and I keep updated copies on my own PC and run them usually about once a week just to be safe.

By the way, FWIW, I do not use the Verizon's security stuff, I have been very satisfied (and safe so far, knocking on wood....) using Windows Firewall (with a free tool called Windows 7 Firewall Control to make managing it easier), the free version of Avast Antivirus, and Windows Defender. And of course the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool runs every time I install Microsoft updates (which I typically do 2 to 4 weeks after they become available just in case they have problems, which they occasionally do).

Keller, TX 76248

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Just an FYI and for those that come in and read this thread looking for help with their issues. System Restore is ineffective against any really advanced virus's (viri?)

There are many virus's right now that once on your computer, it will disable your anti virus. That is why your VISS keeps shutting down its real time scanning. You have and infection and it shuts down the scanning to remain hidden on the computer.

The posts above are right. Malwarebytes is an excellent program.

You need to try going to safe mode (with networking). Download the free Malwarebytes, and try running a scan (while still in safe mode). If this doesnt work. Call Verizon (during the day) and ask to be connected with Macafee for help with the virus removal.

There is a major virus that has been going around for the last few years. It sometimes calls itself "Vista anitvirus" "or "Antivirus 1" or "Windows Antivirus" or any one of another dozen names. It keeps changing its program every couple of weeks to get around the Anti virus software. Since an Anti Virus can only protect you against virus's that it knows about, there is always a couple of days between when a virus comes and when you become protected against it. Thats where most people end of getting virus's. Once on your computer, depending on the level of virus, some can be removed from safemode. Some need human intervention.

glenda_lee_s
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you Everybody!!!  Combined all information and proceeded as suggested.  Yep, you're right, I had never 'system restored', and probably won't again, not that had issues, well I take that back...not as many issues.  I did end up talking to McAfee thru Fios and agent was able to take control of my laptop, and set my security settings correct, and undo those not needed that were interferring with Security Suite.  THEN...I came across all ya'll's responses and help.  I've never had anti-malwares I don't thnk....but I've got them now!  The only thing I notice is maybe a little drop in speed, could have nothing do with each other.   Also quite often when opening a new tab, or just opening Internet Explorer unable to connect?? (maybe), gives me option for windows to check for solution, and then returns with possible solutions, I choose "re set the router"? (maybe...i'm doing this from memory and I'm no techie)...Anyway, always returns with "problem resolved close this window to continue"....but it happens often, especially have hibernating, and new tab....2-3 times during a sitting....(i'm on wireless laptop if matters, router is in bedroom across house, but is high up, and clear of clutter...)   Again thank you sooooooooo much for all of ya'll's attention to this matter!  I'm learning sooooooooooo much since joining the community.  We are 100% Verizon, home, land line, Fios, mobile devices...to many STB, to many cell fones!!!  Hey, can you have more than one DVR in a home??  to record more than 2 channels at a time?  or am I way behind knowing this knowledge too?

glenda_lee_s
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok..me again...regarding "Internet Explorer not Responding" issue *which I expect to happen several times, and was happening before the virus, system restore and what...I just noticed the last times, where when using the "back page", "forward page". and just now when I clicked the arrow down to see latest browsing history to find a page I'd been on.....

I just reset the adapter, doesn't take long...but if can easily be solved ...be great..

Thanks Smart People!!

Ya'll Rock!

Glenda (who knows enough to mess it up)