Re: ... frustrating hangs ... - Time For A Change?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@RobHunt wrote:

BTW, system's nic is a very old CNet PRO200WL card (circa 2001)  ...  

Being an old guy myself, I may be a bit sensitive to having the word "old" tossed around recklessly.  However I cannot help but notice that this dreaded word appears with alarming frequency in your posts (all of them).

Is it just possible that the equipment you're using has age limitations that cannot be satisfactorily addressed at this stage of its life?  I know that is sometimes the case for me.  Not speaking about my own physical stamina, of course.

0 Likes
Re: ... frustrating hangs ... - Time For A Change?
RobHunt
Contributor - Level 1

@armond_in_nj wrote:

Being an old guy myself, I may be a bit sensitive to having the word "old" tossed around recklessly.  

Sorry and I agree; perhaps I've used the "o**" word too copiously.  And it may well be time to upgrade, as this aged WinXP box has served long and well (for the most part).

Ironically, being the most technically adept in the household, I am also the most technologically bereft, as I won't pay for newer hardware/services that I know can still be served by the stuff at hand, with a little techie coaxing. I'm close to the purchase point though as most any video I try to watch on this box stutters and lags due to CPU insufficiencies.

And yet the question remains, why Comcast—OK and FiOS—pretty-much-but-not-100%?  The PCI nic is supposed to be good to 100Mbps.  It may be that FiOS relies on newer standards or protocol features that were not incorporated the nic or its driver, <ahem> a long time ago, in a factory pretty far away…

Being the techie that I am, I'd like to definitively know.

0 Likes
Network constipation, continued...
RobHunt
Contributor - Level 1

So! I thought this issue was solely with the aged WinXP box.  Not so.  Using my kid's blazing fast Win7 box, I'm experiencing the same network constipation (with Twitter mostly).  The faster box certainly helps, but intermittently (and frequently enough that it's noticeable), Chrome will gag and tell me that "page is not available" even though with a reload, the page comes up fine.

Is there a Vzn technical resource that can look into this?

0 Likes
Re: Network constipation, continued...
SoulForge1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Rob,

I am having this 100% exact same issue on the two computers I have here.

I have a repair tech who is supposed to look at this issue today. I'll post again if I it gets fixed and he tells me what it was.

My service was just installed yesterday and has been doing this since activation.

RobHunt
Contributor - Level 1

@SoulForge wrote:

Rob,

I am having this 100% exact same issue on the two computers I have here.

I have a repair tech who is supposed to look at this issue today. I'll post again if I it gets fixed and he tells me what it was.

My service was just installed yesterday and has been doing this since activation.

Though burdensome to learn someone else is having the same issue (I would not wish such on anyone), I find relief knowing I'm not a lone voice.

Thanks for keeping me in mind.  And please stress to the tech the fact that if (s)he  finds something, it's important to share the details as it may help others.

Thanks!

0 Likes
SoulForge1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Rob,

The tech was here yesterday for several hours and was on the phone speaking with several Tier II techs. They ultimately put in a ticket to replace the GPON card at the CO. That occured last night.

As of this morning the issue is still ongoing. I have already contacted the tech who was here and we will see where this goes.

Can you do a verizon speed test and tell me if it ever completes?

When I do my test it does the download test and finishes but the upload goes all the way to the end then slowly drops until the test says it timed out.

RobHunt
Contributor - Level 1

Speed tests (my subscription is supposed to be 35/35 Mbps service):

• verizon.com/checkyourspeed:
    server: NYC (latency 15 ms)
    down: 43 Mbps
    up: 38 Mbps

• speedtest.net
    server: Boston 14ms
    down: 43 Mbps
    up: 34 Mbps

Both completed without a glitch/pause. 

Starting yesterday, (other than Twitter's own DNS issues) I've not experienced any blocks/pauses/waiting-fors.  The aged WinXP box is running smooth and browsing is as good as — but faster than — the days of Comcast.  Still would like to know why.  Perhaps because this area is a newly activated Verizon (sub?) net; configurations and routing tables had yet to be fully implemented/tested/QC'd?

0 Likes
SoulForge1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Couldn't really say.

The area I am in isn't really new and they've only added the new GPON I am on to expand the number of users. I just moved from one location 3 miles away to this new one and the old connection worked without a problem.

0 Likes
RobHunt
Contributor - Level 1

It's been over a week of hang-free internet service, even on this aged WinXP box.  In fact, now some video svcs that suffered an inexorable stutter under previous ISP have fewer hiccups with FiOS.

No explanation as to why, but it works now and I'm good with it.  And to stop the Vzn Community Mailer from asking "did you get a solution?" this post will be marked as a "solution," albeit one of a mysterious source.

0 Likes