Really slow wired speeds
Johnnnnnn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am subscribed to the 25/25 FIOS plan but lately, I have been getting very slow speeds, both download and upload. The Verizon speed test gives me something like 3-4 Mbps download and ~2 Mbps upload. I can't play any online games because my ping fluctuates between 200-400+.  I'm using the Actiontec rev I router if that matters. Already tried restarting it of course.

My tracert is as follows-

Tracing route to google.com [172.217.2.206]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2   602 ms   555 ms   587 ms  lo0-100.BLTMMD-VFTTP-311.verizon-gni.net [71.127.152.1]
  3   467 ms   507 ms   466 ms  T0-6-0-9.BLTMMD-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [100.41.4.54]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6   512 ms   582 ms   734 ms  0.et-9-1-0.GW13.IAD8.ALTER.NET [140.222.235.213]
  7   689 ms   669 ms   642 ms  204.148.79.46
  8   721 ms   541 ms   529 ms  209.85.242.140
  9   456 ms   399 ms   396 ms  72.14.233.91
 10    70 ms    67 ms    71 ms  iad23s23-in-f14.1e100.net [172.217.2.206]

Trace complete.

I'm not well versed in reading traceroutes. Is there something on my end that could be causing this? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Really slow wired speeds
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since the ping to hop #2 is very high, this means either something is saturating your connection, or there is a problem Verizon needs to solve.

First steps, check all of your networked devices to see if they are generating a lot of network activity. Torrent clients, Tor relays, and "Shareware" VPN clients, to name a few things, can cause your Internet connection to become saturated. Also, make sure your Wi-FI is secure. It should be locked down using WPA2-AES encryption, and your password should not be easily guessable. It's best to change the password from the default the router comes with.

Second step, reboot your ONT. Locate the ONT's power supply, and disconnect it from AC Power. Then, locate the backup battery for your ONT, if you have one, and disconnect one of the batteries/leads. Re-connect the ONT in the reverse order, and give it a minute to power up.

Third step, if your router connects up to the ONT using Coax, check your signal levels to ensure the coax connection isn't to blame. This article should apply to the Rev. I on how to find your link speed: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.2_MOCA#16569 . If your link speed is in the unacceptable range, check your wiring. Replace any splitters the router is going through, ensure the router lives on the splitter closest to the ONT, and try replacing the coax cabling between your router and the wall. Ensure the cables are not sharply bent, or pinched tightly.

If your router connects using Ethernet to the ONT, take the router to the ONT and use another Ethernet cable. If the problem is resolved after leaving the router powered up for a short amount of time, replace the Ethernet cable running between the router's usual spot and the ONT. Make sure your router gets a 1Gbps connection (sometimes it may only get 100Mbps if you have an older Tellabs / BPON ONT).

If none of the above helps, Verizon will need to check the PON you're attached to, and check your Fiber signal strength. It wouldn't hurt if this is the case, to check with your neighbors to see if they are also seeing problems. If a PON is bad, they'll also be affected if they're on the same PON.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are running to speedtest.verizon.net and not getting your subscribed speeds, then you need to contact support.

There is an issue with your connection to Verizon network that needs to be corrected.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since the ping to hop #2 is very high, this means either something is saturating your connection, or there is a problem Verizon needs to solve.

First steps, check all of your networked devices to see if they are generating a lot of network activity. Torrent clients, Tor relays, and "Shareware" VPN clients, to name a few things, can cause your Internet connection to become saturated. Also, make sure your Wi-FI is secure. It should be locked down using WPA2-AES encryption, and your password should not be easily guessable. It's best to change the password from the default the router comes with.

Second step, reboot your ONT. Locate the ONT's power supply, and disconnect it from AC Power. Then, locate the backup battery for your ONT, if you have one, and disconnect one of the batteries/leads. Re-connect the ONT in the reverse order, and give it a minute to power up.

Third step, if your router connects up to the ONT using Coax, check your signal levels to ensure the coax connection isn't to blame. This article should apply to the Rev. I on how to find your link speed: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.2_MOCA#16569 . If your link speed is in the unacceptable range, check your wiring. Replace any splitters the router is going through, ensure the router lives on the splitter closest to the ONT, and try replacing the coax cabling between your router and the wall. Ensure the cables are not sharply bent, or pinched tightly.

If your router connects using Ethernet to the ONT, take the router to the ONT and use another Ethernet cable. If the problem is resolved after leaving the router powered up for a short amount of time, replace the Ethernet cable running between the router's usual spot and the ONT. Make sure your router gets a 1Gbps connection (sometimes it may only get 100Mbps if you have an older Tellabs / BPON ONT).

If none of the above helps, Verizon will need to check the PON you're attached to, and check your Fiber signal strength. It wouldn't hurt if this is the case, to check with your neighbors to see if they are also seeing problems. If a PON is bad, they'll also be affected if they're on the same PON.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

For over a year 2 of the machines on my home network have been recording abysmal upload speeds while the download would be fine - like 85/12 on a 75/75 connection.  All other machines showed fine at roughly 85/85.  I put it down to being an issue with the mother boards as those 2 machines were using the same motherboard and as resetting the router and the ont never did anything to fix the issue I just ignored it as I could alway upload any large file via another machine.

Yesterday when reading this thread I tried a speedtest again and discovered that the issue had sort of reversed and that all machines on the network were now running at about 20 down and 60 up.
I just reset the ont and apparently this was a Verizon issue all along as everything is now running at 85/92.  I guess sometime recently Verizon must have fixed something at their end of my ont connection, though real odd that it only affected 2 machines for over a year.

0 Likes
kalnvnxta

oh this was so helpful! i am pretty sure the cable between our ONT and our ethernet outlet is bad, because when i plugged our route directly into the ONT i was getting abou 150/150 (ONT is in our basement) and with our router in the basement and my laptop on the first floor i am getting 128/144 (slower than i would like but compared to the 33/75 we were getting before, i can deal with it). i had restarted everything checked everything verizon had suggested on their troubleshooting page to no avail but this was great, but it hadn't occurred to me that there could be an issue with their ethernet cable between the devices. i don't have time to pull the cable out of the way and put a new one up right now, but we can live with the router in the basement for the moment.

0 Likes