Receiving Microsoft Excel Email Attachments
vinnie
Enthusiast - Level 3
Someone has tried repeatedly to send me an email message containing a Microsoft Excel file as an attachement but I never get it! I have received attachments of other file types, so is there an issue on Verizon with receiving Excel files? (BTW, it's not in the spam folder either).
0 Likes
Re: Receiving Microsoft Excel Email Attachments
Justin46
Legend

I have never had any problems. I don't get many spreadsheets attached to emails, but I usually get one or two a month. And I just did a test of sending one to myself, worked just fine - can you send one to yourself?. It is not clear to me, are you not getting the email at all, or just not the attachment?

Sorry, but I don't have any ideas why you are experiencing a problem (well, maybe one - any chance you have a rule set up in your email client to exclude certain kinds of attachments, like spreadsheets?).

0 Likes
vinnie
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thanks for your thoughts Justin. I did send myself a test message with an Excel attachment from my work account and cc'ed my Yahoo account: it got to Yahoo with no problems but I still haven't seen it on either my Outlook client or Verizon webmail. I was hoping these forums were moderated by Verizon, but I'm starting to doubt that.
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Vinnie does it have anything to do with the size of the file?
0 Likes
vinnie
Enthusiast - Level 3
Nope, 143 KB! And not only that, I zipped the file and received it just fine, so the only thing I can think is there is some sort of spam/virus filter on Verizon's end (although others have reported being able to receive Excel files).
Message Edited by vinnie on 08-29-2008 11:00 AM
0 Likes
mole
I am having the same problem. I cannot send or receive Excel spreadsheets to people who open them with a pc. I have Microsoft Office for Apple 2008. If I send a spreadsheet attachment using my gmail account from my mac, all is well. Has to be a Verizon webmail problem. Just can't find anyone who knows what the problem is. I have tried saving as 2004-2007 .xls without success. I have some issues with Word documents also.
0 Likes
Ucamuk1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I may have a 'go around' solution you can use until the problem is fixed.  Try renaming the file extension. IOW, instead of "test.xls", rename the file to "test.bls."  Whatever filter is preventing the Excel attachments from going through might be fooled by this.

Of course, you'll have to let the recepient of the e-mail know that he/she must download and then rename the file back to test.xls before trying to open it.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
I do not see where this has been mentioned, so I am just going to mention it:  Since the change of the e-mail format I have heard of this type of issue a few times.  The fix was to go back to your file association settings and reassign the file extention to the program you want it to open.  I personally have not had this become an issue, however, I HAVE absolutely seen it affecting others.  I don't know why it happens, just becasue Verizon changed the e-mail formatting, but I have seen it.
0 Likes
mole
Thanks for the reply. I am not very tech savy. could you walk me through changing file association for me?
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
To mole about cjacobs001's post:

I can see renaming files sure and maybe including as need be the extention, but...

"file association settings and reassign the file extension" on a Mac. Even while I do not have a Mac, I am not sure if that is possible.

I guess we will find out, if there is any Mac users here..

--

I did find this/these:

http://ocaoimh.ie/2007/01/07/how-to-rename-a-file-in-mac-os-x/

http://www.macobserver.com/tip/2008/01/04.1.shtml