Recent new customer, not getting speeds I am paying for and seem to be limited?
bezerker
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently just migrated from Time Warner's 300/20 cable connection to Verizon FIOS 150/150 internet (it JUST became available on my block a few weeks ago in Queens, NYC)

Setup info: I maintain my own internal wiring in the home and routing equipment (pfsense).  The equipment is capable of handling gigabit speeds. (Tested by connecting both ends to machines and running performance tests between them with iperf and other network test tools).  Prior to switching, I was able to get my full 300 megabit down and 20 meg upstream through this equipment.  Systems/networks are my profession, so I am aware of the basic testing that should be done to rule out my end of things.

When the Verizon tech arrived, everything was prewired so all he had to do was install the ONT, and plug in the ethernet to the ONT.  Did that, and on install day I was only getting 120/120 speeds.  The tech said give it a few days and I should get my 150/150.  It's been a few weeks and I am still only receiving 120/120.  This appears to be a hard cap too, as any time traffic hits 120 that is where it stops.  It is consistent on both upload/downloads for speedtests.  

I've tested by switching back to my TWC connection (which I am keeping until I am sure of the quality of the fios connection) and I get the 300 meg I expect on that link.

It definitely appears there is some kind of "120/120" limit set on my connection.  The tech on site said everything looked good on my ONT's end.

Is this a common issue? I'm assuming I'll need to work with Verizon technicians on this, but it's going to be a nightmare going through tech support as I basically will get the nonsense about using a non verizon router etc.  

Thoughts?

Re: Recent new customer, not getting speeds I am paying for and seem to be limited?
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is definately not a common issue. I pay for 75/75 and most of the time get 85+ Mbps.

A fellow pFsense user here, I feel your pain with tech support.

Seems like you know what your doing but just curious, have you tried any real-world tests (uploading/downloading files) or have you gone of speedtest results only?

It does seem really strange though that the speeds are being affected on BOTH download AND upload... I would still attempt to contact tech support, that defiantely sounds like a problem on their end.

Re: Recent new customer, not getting speeds I am paying for and seem to be limited?
bezerker
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply. Yep. I've tested both iperf, speedtests, and simple scp filetransfers up and down on both links.  It definitely looks like some sort of "limit" on the other end.  Latency and PL wise I am what I'd expect on a fiber drop. (extremely low, and none 🙂

Good to note that most people get their speeds as they'd expect.  I suppose I'll have to follow up with support and go through the headaches necessary. Ugh.  At least with Time Warner I had a mark on my account noting that I can skip right to tier3. 😛

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I see. Best of luck with tech support. Hopefully they won't give you much of a headache!

Just a personal note- really do try to give Verizon a chance though, once this is solved I have to say their network (at least in the pittsburgh area) is pretty rock solid - and the upload is great!

The one thing I can never understand is why so many providers give just pathetically low upload speeds. (I understand this can sometimes be due to hardware limititations - cable - but come on sometimes I really wonder what companies are thinking)

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Start with running speedtest.verizon.net (not the regular speedtest.net).

This tests to a server on the Verizon network and verifies that yuor local connection is provisioned properly.

Make sure to do it via a wired connection with no other applications accessing the Internet.

If you don't get your 150/150, then contact support and they should help you out.

If you do, then you local connection is fine and the issue is most likely a congestion issue.

If you look in this forum some people have reported issues once the leave Verizon network.

0 Likes