Reconnected router does not connect to broadband.
Bertie07

Hello everyone,

Really looking for some insight into an issue I experienced this weekend which I thought was very peculiar.  Not sure if there is an answer to this, but I would like to hear others thoughts.  Additionally, I have conducted a live chat session and will be receiving a new router shortly.

On Saturday I decided to install a fairly old router of mine (Belkin at least 5 years old) in my office.  My house has a multiple cat5 drops, and so to test if it would work I decided to switch the feed to the drop in my office, disconnecting my Verizon router (this connection is via a cat5 to cat5 connector).  When I successfully connected to the internet through my Belkin, I tried to return the broadband connection to the Verizon router.  The internet connection globe was red, as expected, however when I reconnected thr broadbamd connection it remained red.  Thinking it needed a reset, I reset the router which did not work.  I remembered that I may have needed to reregister, so I logged into the router and my Fios account and discovered no need to register.  I checked some internal router connections and noted that the ethernet connection showed unplugged though it was clearly plugged into the WAN port.  I swapped out the cat5 cable and no resolution.

At this point I wemt through the support of my Fios app until I reached a live chat session.  (Fast forwarding the redundant parts) The representative instructed me to hook my laptop up to the broadband connection at the switch box in my garage.  To my surprise I had an internet connection.  She asked me to factory reset the router which did nothing either.  Finally she said she would send me out a new router, as clearly my router was detective.  To satisfy my own curiosity I plugged my laptop into the wall port in my living room, where the Verizon router normally sits, and still had a connection.

Currently, we are using my Belkin router in my office as the Verizon router never worked again, and ee have internet access.  Can anyone think of a reason this would happen?  I appreciate anyones insight.  And feel free to ask questions as I may have left something out.

0 Likes
Re: Reconnected router does not connect to broadband.
jonjones1
Legend

@Bertie07 wrote:

Hello everyone,

Really looking for some insight into an issue I experienced this weekend which I thought was very peculiar.  Not sure if there is an answer to this, but I would like to hear others thoughts.  Additionally, I have conducted a live chat session and will be receiving a new router shortly.

On Saturday I decided to install a fairly old router of mine (Belkin at least 5 years old) in my office.  My house has a multiple cat5 drops, and so to test if it would work I decided to switch the feed to the drop in my office, disconnecting my Verizon router (this connection is via a cat5 to cat5 connector).  When I successfully connected to the internet through my Belkin, I tried to return the broadband connection to the Verizon router.  The internet connection globe was red, as expected, however when I reconnected thr broadbamd connection it remained red.  Thinking it needed a reset, I reset the router which did not work.  I remembered that I may have needed to reregister, so I logged into the router and my Fios account and discovered no need to register.  I checked some internal router connections and noted that the ethernet connection showed unplugged though it was clearly plugged into the WAN port.  I swapped out the cat5 cable and no resolution.

At this point I wemt through the support of my Fios app until I reached a live chat session.  (Fast forwarding the redundant parts) The representative instructed me to hook my laptop up to the broadband connection at the switch box in my garage.  To my surprise I had an internet connection.  She asked me to factory reset the router which did nothing either.  Finally she said she would send me out a new router, as clearly my router was detective.  To satisfy my own curiosity I plugged my laptop into the wall port in my living room, where the Verizon router normally sits, and still had a connection.

Currently, we are using my Belkin router in my office as the Verizon router never worked again, and ee have internet access.  Can anyone think of a reason this would happen?  I appreciate anyones insight.  And feel free to ask questions as I may have left something out.

The first thing that comes to mind is when you took off the verizon router did you do a Release and Renew for the DNS first? then after you did so did you unplug the verizon router before you plugged  into your old belkin?

Without a release and renew the router may not get connectivity to the net.

0 Likes
Bertie07

Thanks jonjones,

I did notice a tiny DNS section within the router, however, thought better not to mess with it.  I will attempt your suggestion tonight.  I also assumed that with a factory reset, and the few restarts that I and the representative initiated it would have pinged for a renew of the DNS. 

How would I initiate a renew through the router? I know I can set DNSs within it, but the DNS record should know the difference between my Belkin and Verizon routers via MAC?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Bertie07 wrote:

Thanks jonjones,

I did notice a tiny DNS section within the router, however, thought better not to mess with it.  I will attempt your suggestion tonight.  I also assumed that with a factory reset, and the few restarts that I and the representative initiated it would have pinged for a renew of the DNS. 

How would I initiate a renew through the router? I know I can set DNSs within it, but the DNS record should know the difference between my Belkin and Verizon routers via MAC?

To release DHCP lease via the router GUI, follow the below steps on the Actiontec or FiOS Quantum Gateway:

1 Click on the My Network icon at the top.
2 Click Network Connections from the menu on the left.
3 Click Broadband Connection
4 Click Settings
5 Scroll down and click Release under DHCP Lease
6 Click Apply
7 Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

Then you put the new/old router in service via hooking it up and powering on. It gets access to fios.

0 Likes