Reconnrcting to FIOS
KBAquarius

I had to do a system recovery on my laptop. Now, I cannot connect to the wireless internet. Do I have to have some from Verizon come out and fix the problem or can I fix it myself?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Reconnrcting to FIOS
prisaz
Legend

@KBAquarius wrote:

I had to do a system recovery on my laptop. Now, I cannot connect to the wireless internet. Do I have to have some from Verizon come out and fix the problem or can I fix it myself?

Thanks.

No you could fix it yourself. Have you checked the operation of your wireless adaptor?

Does it see your router broadcasting the SSID?

If it does see it, you should be able to connect and provide the key that is on a sticker affixed to the router. The SSID and Key is on that sticker.

If you see no wireless connections available, your adaptor on your laptop may not be setup properly. Try connecting it to the router with a cable, just as a test. If that works go to the link here and try installing the Inhome Agent to assist in your wireless configuration. http://www.verizon.com/connectionwizard/

If connecting directly to your router does not work. Then try to reset your router by cycling power. If that does not work you could do a factory reset of your router by using a paper clip through the little hole in the rear of the router to push the rest buttom. Hold it in for 20-30 seconds.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@KBAquarius wrote:

Thanks.

No you could fix it yourself. Have you checked the operation of your wireless adaptor?

Does it see your router broadcasting the SSID?

If it does see it, you should be able to connect and provide the key that is on a sticker affixed to the router. The SSID and Key is on that sticker.

If you see no wireless connections available, your adaptor on your laptop may not be setup properly. Try connecting it to the router with a cable, just as a test. If that works go to the link here and try installing the Inhome Agent to assist in your wireless configuration. http://www.verizon.com/connectionwizard/

If connecting directly to your router does not work. Then try to reset your router by cycling power. If that does not work you could do a factory reset of your router by using a paper clip through the little hole in the rear of the router to push the rest buttom. Hold it in for 20-30 seconds.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it's rare that fios would send someone out for something like that on a repair basis, you could always pay for a tech to come out and do it from fios, but you can also fix it yourself.

assuming that your nic wasn't disabled or the software uninstalled when you did that, you can simply find the ESSID and WEP key on your router at home (if it's standing upright, it will be a sticker on the left, and if it's laying flat it will be underneath of it on the belly of the router)   it will be a sticker that literally says essid and wep key.

next on your PC you will find your network icon.   in the bottom right of your screen, next to the time and the speaker/volume should be a network icon that looks like a single pc or a couple pc's. 

when you find that, right click on it and look for either connect to a network or view available wireless networks.    with the list that comes up, find the essid in that list that matches with what was printed on your router sticker.    double click it and it should ask you for a password.   that is when you put your wep key in.  you may need to put it in twice. 

if you don't have an icon down there like that, you can find it by clicking on start, and then control panel, and look for your network connections.  you want to find your local area connection.  and then do the above where you click on view available networks or connect to, and then you put in your info. 

if that stuff isn't there let us know, and let us know if it's a laptop or desktop and what is the brand like dell or hp etc..

it may have special software for you to use.

KBAquarius

Thank you both so much,

I found the SSID and Key and was able to connect the wireless internet.

Thank you for all your help.

0 Likes