Red Globe issue (Ethernet) - Requires network test to reconnect
DMVForumName
Enthusiast - Level 2

[Moderator posted fix]

Saw a post from a moderator posting a fix for the red globe.  Standard unplug/replug see if it reconnects.  I have ethernet, vs coax, and this fails for me.

[My fix]

I can follow the above and it still comes back red.  I have taken the following testing steps.

Reboot the ONT by pulling the power, restart the router, etc - fails
Tested the physical cable between the ONT and router - cable passes
Reconnected and red globe - fails
Plugged router directly into the ONT with a short 3' cable outside my house - passes
Reconnect inside - fails
Run a network test with a meter, using the same cable, and it connected to the ONT - network test passes
Plug the cat 6 back into the router - passes, white globe back
This has happened a couple of times now.  I initially thought the cable was failing but it always tests fine with 2 different sets of cable testers/meters.  This was stuck in this state for 8 hours this past weekend until I forced a network test and it immediately came back.

Thoughts on what this could be?  I don't understand why a physical problem with the cable would be resolved by a network test, so I don't think it's that.  Could there be some interference further up network (upstream from the ONT) causing issues and forcing a test to clear it? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Red Globe issue (Ethernet) - Requires network test to reconnect
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT upstream is rarely the issue. If the other end of your ONT, which is an OLT, does have issue, more than 40 subscribers will be affected.

I think something is wrong with your ONT. You might need to contact Fios support to request a replacement.

Please contact Fios support (24/7/365) through social media channels (Twitter or Facebook) or online chat. Phone support should be your last resort for saving your precious time and reducing stress on support Centers.

View solution in original post

Re: Red Globe issue (Ethernet) - Requires network test to reconnect
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT upstream is rarely the issue. If the other end of your ONT, which is an OLT, does have issue, more than 40 subscribers will be affected.

I think something is wrong with your ONT. You might need to contact Fios support to request a replacement.

Please contact Fios support (24/7/365) through social media channels (Twitter or Facebook) or online chat. Phone support should be your last resort for saving your precious time and reducing stress on support Centers.