Red Light on Router
Rudy2277
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am on my third router and I keep having the same problem.  I keep getting the red light coming on on the front of the router.  I run through the online reset help which reboots the connection but it takes about 15-20 minutes.  I got the 3rd router in the early part of this year and occasionally have the red light show...maybe once a month.  Recently though...it has happened every other day for the last week or so.  Occasionally we work from home and this week it caused us to miss a very important meeting.  This may cause us to switch providers when we can.  Anyone else experience this and how did you resolve?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Red Light on Router
jonjones1
Legend

That red light means you have lost broadband connection. It should not happen daily or all that often. You have had three router replacements so you could ask for another one, however did anyone check the connections at the ONT? That would be where I would want Verizon tech support to look at. Make sure they don’t try and make you pay for the visit. I would before I call have another broadband service lined up. Then you can explain that you will go to them since Fios is not fixing what you pay for.

you could also get a customer owned router that has tri-band mimo and with a high customer rating. I use Netgear but there are other companies just as good. 

Then just do a dhcp release on the Verizon router and unplug it immediately so as not to get another dhcp connection. Then plug in your customer owned router and take the ethernet cable from the ont and plug it into the WAN port on your owned router.

after it get dhcp you can then enter the router and make a different SSID and network password (or use the ones supplied) and see if that stabilize the connection.

please note Verizon Fios does not offer inside support for a customer owned router. They troubleshoot only from their CO to the ONT. So you would be on your own on the router.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

That red light means you have lost broadband connection. It should not happen daily or all that often. You have had three router replacements so you could ask for another one, however did anyone check the connections at the ONT? That would be where I would want Verizon tech support to look at. Make sure they don’t try and make you pay for the visit. I would before I call have another broadband service lined up. Then you can explain that you will go to them since Fios is not fixing what you pay for.

you could also get a customer owned router that has tri-band mimo and with a high customer rating. I use Netgear but there are other companies just as good. 

Then just do a dhcp release on the Verizon router and unplug it immediately so as not to get another dhcp connection. Then plug in your customer owned router and take the ethernet cable from the ont and plug it into the WAN port on your owned router.

after it get dhcp you can then enter the router and make a different SSID and network password (or use the ones supplied) and see if that stabilize the connection.

please note Verizon Fios does not offer inside support for a customer owned router. They troubleshoot only from their CO to the ONT. So you would be on your own on the router.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When the Internet goes out, check the status lights on your ONT. On many ONTs, you can find them by opening the Customer Access door. Compare the lights from when the Internet is working, to when it's not. If you see any lights out, or a FAIL light lit, you're having problems either with the ONT or the Fiber signal.